I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SICs on Gatti 3WT?
Posted by: Mark Scheitler (---.northgrum.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 02:26PM

Guys:

I've dug through the archives here and learned that lots of folks like the Fuji TI SIC guides on their flyrods. I've got a Gatti FRC 3 wt blank to build up, and would like folks' opinions:

Some have posted that SIC guides are more appropriate for heavier (4wt+) rods- would I expect the effect of slightly heavier SICs on my 3wt 9'er to be that noticable? Do Ti SIC guides weigh much more than SF wire guides?

Does using SICs mean I need to playaround with Guide spacing much (versus the mfr recommendation)? I've only built a couple of flyrods so far, and I'd hate to screw up this one by using the wrong guide spacing, sizes, qty, guide height (concepts versus older/taller style). The mfr recommends standard sized guides, 4X #1s, 2X #2s, 3X #3s, 1X#4 and a #10 stripper. How would I convert this into Fuji Ti Sic guides sizes- do I need to go as incrementally- it seems folks run small dia guides farther down the blank?

Anybody out there actually have experience with my blank and able to provide feedback on guide selection?

So as you see, I've a good number of questions at this point- I know I could go with SF wire guides, but I'm out to learn too and make the best rod I can- I'd just like to avoid learning by my own mistakes, and I'd value the opinions you folks could share. Also, I'm not, by any means, dead set on going with SICs, I've considered recoils, and various SF wire guides as well- I'd just like a slick guide who's weight doesn't hurt my rods performance in a very noticable way. Opinions? Suggestions?

TIA,

Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SICs on Gatti 3WT?
Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 04, 2005 02:49PM

Haven't built on that blank, but I would go with the titanium frame SICs. A 3 weight is about the breakeven point for the extra weight over the RECs. 10-8-7-6s [all single foots] to tip. Place a guide on every ferrule and static distribution of rest.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: February 04, 2005 04:03PM

I second what Don suggests. Go with the titanium/SICs. They're fantastic! Personally, I would use all 6s, then a stripping guide (or two stripping guides 4" apart) that's an 8. I know that seems awfully small, but my test-casting consistently tells me that sz. 8 strippers perform just as well as 10s or 12s. But, you should definitely test it for yourself.

Posted by: Jim Morris (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: February 04, 2005 04:10PM

Mark, just my opinion,but I'd build anything 4 weight or under as light as possible - in other words single foot Tich's, or better still single foot REC Recoils. That way you compromise the responsiveness/crispness of your blank as little as possible. I'm unconvinced by the friction 'advantages' of ceramics in light trout rods (exactly how far does anyone want to cast a 3 weight anyway?) I suspect most fly fishers would be better off cleaning their fly lines thoroughly after each outing rather than spending three times as much on their guides. I've yet to wear out a decent set of Tich's on any trout rod, so the longevity argument doesn't convince me either.
Just one anecdote on the weight side which tipped the scales for me a few years ago: I built a 5 weight Gatti FR3PA using single foot Tich's and convinced myself it would cast 'better' with ceramics. I replaced all those guides except the stripper with Alconites down to #6 and I couldn't believe the difference - the rod was quite noticeably less responsive/crisp as a result of that very slight increase in weight. I'm an experienced caster, so it was not a case of imagination - besides, I wanted the change to work and was disappointed with the results. The rod still cast well, but felt 'weighed down'. OK, Alconites aren't titanium sics, but the latter cost heaps and aren't the lightest option. I have an 8 foot 3 weight FRC and would build the blank again using either single foot Tich's, or REC Recoils. Jim

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: February 04, 2005 04:29PM

Thanks for your input Jim. I am not particularly sensitive to changes in guides. I did switch out RECs for ceramics on my D.C. 1 weight, but I confess not to have noticed any difference in the cast. One of the guys builds with RECs on the upper section and then switches to ceramics. Tom K. - what do your machined cast rods tell you?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2005 04:33PM

The advantage of using good ceramic rings is not about casting distance - in fact there is very little friction on the rings during a cast. But good ceramic guides offer a host of advantages which, when added together, make them an excellent choice for any rod weight. They do cost considerably more, however, so you have to weigh that against the use you intend to get out of the rod.

Posted by: Mark Scheitler (---.northgrum.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 06:14PM

Well, so far, you guys have at least made me feel better about not being able to make up my mind! Seriously, thanks for the input so far.

I really wrestle with the fact it's a 9' blank- it won't be the lightest rod in the world as a result, but it seems small amounts of extra mass out toward to tip act on a longer lever arm, so....

Anybody know off the top of their heads how much extra mass, even in ballpark we're talking here? A SF ti guide versus a Ti Fuji concept. Twice as heavy? 20% more? I guess I don't know where my personal break point is for ruling 'em in, but I know if they're twice as heavy I'd probably rule them out;-)

Another question- how do folks like recoil guides? I've got a buddy who in casual conversation mentioned he was underwhelmed by them, and that's as much as I know.

Thanks again for the great discussion and help guys.

Mark

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2005 06:37PM

Mark, I have a frc 8 1/2 3wt built by Christian Brink with rec recoils. I like the recoils very much. I'm not crazy about look of the tip tops (the ring is titanium and the sleeve is aluminum).

Christian Brink builds many custom gatti rods and has done extensive testing with them. If he dosen't reply to this post, email him and I'm sure he'd be glad to share his opinion and experience with you.

I also have a frhp 8/1/2 4wt. Best rod I've ever fished with by far. Did you see the new gatti FRLW 2wts? Lightest rods in production I hear. I'll be building one soon I think.

Tony

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 04, 2005 06:49PM

Mark. The REC light wire single foot recoils are really light. I love them, particularly because the foot is a little long, which allows them to blend into the blank (a short foot looks chunky on the tip section). The tip tops do look a little strange, but I use them anyway. I would use a titanium ceramic, probably a single foot # 10, for the stripper. I don't have a titanium SIC 6 available for weight comparision, but I am sure it is twice as heavy. I think you get the big picture. The question is that break point.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster