I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice for a New Rod Builder - Please
Posted by: Gerald Pitpit (---.san.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 04:28AM

Hi,
I am new to the site and relatively new to rod building. I have only built 3 fly rods and my last Winston came out pretty good, but I would like to improve my skills and hoped you all could provide some expert advice. I just bought all the components to make myself a bass rod and would appreciate information on a few topics:

-Finish coat
I currently use Flex coat lite. I have difficulty leveling it sometimes. Any advice on alternative finish coats, techniques, tools, etc.

-Marbling
I have not tried it but it looks really great. Are there any articles or instructions on marbling techniques, materials to use, etc.

-Custom Decals
Are there any sources where I don't have to buy hundreds of decals, but perhaps just a few custom decals. Or is there a way to use an ink jet printer and some special paper or film?

Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice for a New Rod Builder - Please
Posted by: Rich Pedro (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2005 06:36AM

I'm new myself..... in regards to the decals, there is a printer that you can get made by ALPS
MD1000, MD1200 & MD5000 are great printers. With them you can make your own water slide decals & dry transfers.

Posted by: Randy Klein (---.dsl.wcfltx.swbell.net)
Date: February 04, 2005 06:51AM

I've been using flex coat lite and had this problem in the beginning. I went to a different brush, one with a short flat bristle and then applied sparingly. I used flex coat lite last year on a Loomis steelhead rod I made and it came out great. You might try the regular flex coat if you want to go with one coat. I've never tried marbling so I can't help you there.

On the decals go with Decal Connection(one of the sponsors on the left), they'll make as few or as many decals as you need.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 07:07AM

Hi Gerald.

Finish Coat - If finish is not leveling your proberly applying to much finish at one time. Several light applactions is always better. Your using a brush - Don't use is as a brush as a brush - use it as an applicator - apply from the top and let the turning blank pull the finish off the brush. Make sure the blanmk is level in your dryer. One thing I just started doing is to hand turn the blank for the 1st hour then using the motor. Super finishes. If you do a search here you'll find lots of info.

Marblizing - There is an article on that in the Library section of the site.

Custom Decals - On the left your see Decal Connection from what I here they are great. There is also California Tackle and there is another board sponser that does decals but I can't remember the company's name (sorry to the sponser).

Hope this helps.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2005 07:09AM by Milton (Hank) Aldridge.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 07:39AM

About level finishes: To add to what was said above about hand-turning. Very important: the rod must be as level as you can get it. Now, after you have applied the epoxy, let the rod stand without turning until epoxy collects and sags at the bottom, at first this will happen within a minute or two. Remove most of the excess with a brush or spatula (don't touch the threads, just lightly touch the implement to the sag and pull the excess off). Let the rod stand briefly in that position, then turn it 180 degrees and let stand until the epoxy sags again. Again, remove excess. Repeat until no significant saggging occurs, always turning 180 degrees, always waiting just a bit first. The amount of time between turns will gradually increase. When there is no further sagging, place in the rod dryer, or just continue turning 180 degrees by hand. One neat thing about this technique is you don't have to worry about applying the right amount of epoxy, just put it on thicker than necessary because the excess gets removed, and the result is uniform for all the guides.

Posted by: Carmen De Franco (---.hns.aptalaska.net)
Date: February 04, 2005 02:41PM

Gerald,
some tricks to try. first in measuring out the epoxy place two quarters on a table ,cover with alum. foil press an inprint of the quarters in the foil. this will make two fine measuring cups of equal volume fill one with part A the other with partB an mix. this is generally enough for one rod without a largr butt warp.
with the warps turning, use a heat gun on them. this will cause sags. remove the sags with a tooth pick. this will make a smooth finish. make sure the rod is level.
C.P,

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 06:50PM

Check out the Decal Connection link to the left! You can buy ONE decal if you choose and get the same great service as if you ordered 50. Jimi provides quality decal at a good price (Fast, too) Give him a call.
There is an article on Marbleiing in the Library at the top of this page. You can also do a search at the top and type in marble

Mike

Posted by: Gerald Pitpit (199.106.103.---)
Date: February 07, 2005 02:15PM

Thanks to all who replied to my post, I appreciate your feedback. I will try some of techniques you guys listed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster