I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how long do i need to wait
Posted by: Aaron Sappenfield (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: February 04, 2005 03:57AM

hey guys, just finished my second rod. its a 6'6" ul g. loomis. came out beautiful, put the final coat of epoxy on thursday afternoon. it is now completely dry to the touch but was wondering how long i should wait before i break her in. i appreciate your help. i've heard anywhere up to 2 weeks. let me know!! i want to use my new toy! thx again
aaron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how long do i need to wait
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 07:15AM

Hi Aaron,

I like to go 48 - 60 hours before using, and caution should be used not to get to ruff with it.

Thanks Cliff

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2005 03:42PM by Milton (Hank) Aldridge.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 04, 2005 10:28AM

Wait about 2 or 3 days. Waiting for 2 weeks should not be necessary. I'm sure Hank means 48-60 HOURS, not minutes.

This assumes the rod is at a room temperature of at least ~ 62 degrees Fahrenheit continuously. If the rod is stuck someplace any colder than that to finish curing, then for each 10 degrees F below 65F, ADD at least an entire 24 HOURS to the longer recommendation of 3 days needed for curing at the "normal" room temperatures of 65F-75F.

Obviously, for a one-piece rod under 7.5ft long, bringing the rod into some heated part of the house is usually not a problem. But for a one-piece surf pole of 9-12ft, then it may get relegated to an unheated space for curing, and that could easily take a week to cure properly for a winter-time project. If the curing temperature is near freezing 32F, then, yes, 2 WEEKS may not be unreasonable. But that doesn't seem to be your case.

Temperature affects the rate of ALL molecular motion (such as mixing and viscosity), chemical reactions (such as epoxy polymerizations for coatings and adhesives) and rates of vaporization for volatile solvents (such as drying times (for paints and varnishes). A 20F drop in temperature will reduce the rate of most reactions by at least 50% if not 65%. So, if it takes 24 hours at 72F, it takes at least 48 hrs at 52F. But at 32F, it would take 96 hrs. At that point, I would say that it is easier to devise a way to bring a rod inside and hang it horizontally along a ceiling than trust a freezing temperature cure, because most rod-building chemicals were not designed to cure properly below ~ 52F. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL- .

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 04, 2005 10:41AM

We can thank a scientist named Arrhennius for developing the equations that describe the dependence of a rate of reaction on temperature and activation energy. And thank Boltzman for his Boltzman's Distribution of kinetic energy , which describes how a liquid with a temperature below it's boiling point can evaporate. -Cliff Hall-

Posted by: Joe Barnett (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 12:33PM

Aaron,
What I have been doing, and I have seen it mentioned on the board by others, is to leave a sample of the epoxy you used for your wraps on a piece of foil, in a mixing cup, etc... leave it in the same environment in which the rod is stored while waiting for it to cure. Then you can use your fingernail to press into the sample. When you can't dent it anymore, your wraps are "cured".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster