I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Madeira Super twist silicone and paraffin wax
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 03, 2005 07:41PM

G'day Guys,
Billy V. made a post short time ago reference silicone on Madeira thread, more so on the metallics. I have just received a email from Madeira advising that there threads carry a silicone and a paraffin wax for easy high speed movement through the needle etc. I have yet to come across any reaction to the thread on my test wraps and I don't want to experience fish eyes when I use it on a wrap. Billy V. suggested to coat with cp. Has anyone else experienced fish eyes with Madeira and how do you overcome them, and if you use cp what brand do you use.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2005 10:40PM by Myles Boon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madeira Super twist silicone and paraffin wax
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 08:56PM

Myles,
I use Madeira occasionally but usually if I'm not using Gudebrod, I use Robison Anton (it's what the local sewing stores carry). I don't know if RA is coated or not but gonna shoot them an email now that I'm curious.

I nearly always CP everything I do using either Glass Coat or Flex Coat and rarely have fisheyes after finishing. During those occasional ones that show up, I believe they come from my own inability to keep my grubby hands of the rods before applying finish. I just put another thin coat of finish over the wrap and they vanish. If I'm on the heavy side of finish, I use permagloss.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2005 08:15AM

For the regular Polyneon's, I have wrapped 2 rods & done a few test wraps, all directed coated with either Glass Coat, Aftcote, or Crystal Coat. I did not have a problem with fisheyes with this thread, and teh first time I heard of this happening with the Polyneon's was a few days ago.

The Metallics - i've coated with 811, sometimes I needed 2 coats as it still would fisheye on underwraps with certain colors (I ill assume teh amount of Silicones vary from batch to batch, I'm assuming). Glass Coat I tried once, and there was a cloud once the epoxy was applied over teh Sapphire Underwrap. My assumption is the GC mized with teh Silicones or something - it wasn't noticeable until I took it out into the sun, then it stood out like a sore thumb to me.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 09:14AM

I wasn't aware of this while wrapping the first 3 sets of guides that I did with this metallic Madeira. Two finished up perfectly with no CP. The third with no CP gave me a bit of trouble, but just working the finish around on these guide wraps, it turned out fine, also. I think I lucked out...

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 09:14AM

double clicked...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2005 09:15AM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 11:29AM

Billy,
What's Crystal Coat? Isn't that the stuff that Dale Clemens used to sell?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster