I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with tiptop for 12 wt.
Posted by: John Boatwright (38.113.131.---)
Date: February 03, 2005 12:58PM

Looking for suggestions or advice on the proper tip top for a 12 wt. I'm building. Guides are all Fuji Ti with SiC rings. However, I cannot find a "traditional" looking tip top with the ring size I want - #8. Fuji's TLST has the look I want, but I believe only goes up to #7 ring. Fuji does make the Ti TPST with a #8 ring, but this tip top has "braces", for lack of a better word, supporting the ring - a style I associate more with spinning and casting rods. All that being said,

(1) Are you aware of a manufacturer that makes a "traditional" looking Ti tip top with Sic ring in size #8?

(2) The reason for all this is that I want to make sure I have sufficient clearance - the guides for the 12 wt. go down to #8, and I'd hoped to have a #8 tip top so there'd be no worries with knots passing through. Given my difficulties in finding what I'm looking for, will a #7 give me enough room? I haven't built a rod this heavy before, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

As always, I appreciate any thoughts you might have to offer.

Regards,

John Boatwright

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with tiptop for 12 wt.
Posted by: Barret Chrisman (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 02:46PM

John,

I have been obsessing with what guides to purchase for a new 12wt. Probably so much so that it is bordering on insanity! haha. Anyway, I am planning on going with #10 alconite's as running guides. I am planning on using shooting heads and Bimini backing connections, so I want to have enough room to pass any knot needed. Since I have the same problem as you (no fly style to in 10mm ring), I am probably gonna use a Fuji BMNAT10 tip top. It sure ain't pretty, but it should get the job done. I do wish they had the unbraced (or "less" braced) tip tops available in larger sizes and ti frames.... Especially since I still need to make a 10wt and 14wt for offshore work.

I would never go with a tip smaller than my running guides. If you choke your ring down to a 7 at the tip, you lose any advantages you had with 8mm runners.

Barret

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 02:58PM

Why not just use a running guide as a tip?? I see that a lot of guys actually prefer them to tip tops (lighter)

Mike

Posted by: John Boatwright (38.113.131.---)
Date: February 03, 2005 03:19PM

Re: the running guide as a tip top, how would you wrap it to protect the tip of the blank?

Date: February 03, 2005 03:35PM

wrap it right on the end and just coat the end with your finish, or if that makes you nervous, put a SMALL dab of Rod Bond on the cery end (though I don't think it would be necessary)

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2005 03:37PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Barret Chrisman (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 04:15PM

Mike,

I think I understand the process of wrapping a regular sf guide as a tip, but it kind of scares me to do so on such a heavy rod. Especially with crazy doubled up Surgon/bimini knots flying through the guides as an Albacore takes off into the depths!

Does anyone have experience using this method for big fast fish? Part of me is considering going with snakes just to put my worries at ease (forgive me).

Barret

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 06:19PM

I've used single foot guides for tip tops on some spinning rods (amtak needs to widen their range of tip tops) . One particular Rainshadow I built last year caught a ~50# red drum on the first cast, and several more the same day. I was worried at first too, but now I can sleep at night. :) Just wrap it on like any other guide. I've also taken "three leg" guides (NSG style) and bent the single leg back over the guide, wrapping one on top and one on bottom of blank. I believe Mike Barkley gave me that idea. This gives the "braced" look, so you would just want to use a single foot guide.

Date: February 03, 2005 06:19PM

I've used single foot guides for tip tops on some spinning rods (amtak needs to widen their range of tip tops) . One particular Rainshadow I built last year caught a ~50# red drum on the first cast, and several more the same day. I was worried at first too, but now I can sleep at night. :) Just wrap it on like any other guide. I've also taken "three leg" guides (NSG style) and bent the single leg back over the guide, wrapping one on top and one on bottom of blank. I believe Mike Barkley gave me that idea. This gives the "braced" look, so you would just want to use a single foot guide.

Date: February 03, 2005 06:20PM

Date: February 03, 2005 06:38PM

Clyde,
I can't take credit for that one! First time I heard it but it sounds neat. I can't quite picture it, though. You should post a picture

Mike

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.co.kern.ca.us)
Date: February 03, 2005 08:21PM

I have used the TPST tops on 12 weights, although I agree they don't look like fly rod tips. Because they are titanium, however, they are relatively light for the size. I recently purchased one of the Titan fly rod tips from American Tackle with a size 8 ring, and it is braced like the TLST. Unfortunately, it is made of steel rather than titanium. I have not weighed it yet, but I would not be surprised if it is actually heavier than the TPST.

Date: February 03, 2005 09:32PM

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Here's a pic of one Mike, needed another coat of epoxy before the pic. This is the rod that caught the big drum on the first cast. Wish I could put that kind of juju on all my rods! :)

Date: February 04, 2005 08:52PM

Hey Clyde,

That's one of the coolest ideas that I've seen in a while. Love it!

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster