I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

triple wraps
Posted by: Martin Ferral (---.fuse.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 11:21AM

When building triple wraps do you wait until all 3 wraps are on before applying the epoxy or do you apply after each course?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: triple wraps
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2005 11:28AM

Triple wraps are hardly necessary, but if you want to do them, you might consider finishing between each layer. You can wait and do them all at one time, but your epoxy is only going to make it so deep before it thickens to the point that it won't penetrate any farther. Many builders use color preserver or epoxy between thread layer, thinking that it makes a much more durable wrap.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 11:32AM

Like choosing a brand of epoxy, everyone has their own method when it comes to applying said epoxy to double & triple wraps. I personally like the method of applying epoxy to each layer of thread as they go on. This helps in ease of wrapping the next layer, reduces bubbles, and assures I get the guide foot tunnel filled properly. Each time I apply epoxy to a new layer of thread I also apply a very thin layer to the overall wrap. I have hopes that this will help the entire wrap stay 'level' and even. This also resets the clock on the entire wrap as far as the epoxy curing time goes. Generally speaking I use a light build epoxy for all the wrap coats and follow up in the end with a coat of high build. I have been told that this is overkill, but most triple wrapping is overkill anyway. On heavy rods, overkill isn't always a bad thing.

Jay

Posted by: jim creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 06:58PM

suggestion or thought on sealing triple wraps. on first maybe even second, use a urethane type finish, it does not build up hardly at all, then on the third wrap you can go with a high build,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2005 09:01PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 07:21PM

I agree. "On heavy rods, overkill isn't always a bad thing."

Like Jay said, everyone has their choice of epoxy finish and their own way of wrapping .

Just about everything over 30lb class rods I triple wrap with an underwrap under the guides, then a double overwrap. Because of all the documented problems with cp I forgo the color preserver in all the rods I build. I first wrap the guides, then apply the finish. I always apply the finish, quickly, to the guides first before the finish has had a chance to gel. With the "lite" finishes I get thorough thread penetration by the finish. Saves on time and works if done quickly and carefully.

Lou

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 08:09PM

I coat after each wrap, first two wraps are applied quickly then Dry brushed for minimal build-up. (but good penitration) last coat is the Dress coat, usually only do a couple guides per mix so as to get it right!

Posted by: Martin Ferral (---.fuse.net)
Date: February 04, 2005 11:43AM

On the urathane suggestion - are you sayig I could brush on something like a standard polyuerahtane? I have gudebrod #840 regular build. Could I use this on the 1st 2 wraps and then finish with L S Supreme high build? Are these two products compatable? (Thanks for all this help and advice)

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: February 04, 2005 02:10PM

Most refer to Permagloss by U40 as being the best urethane finish available. You could probably use something like spar urethane also. Just a guess on my part as I've not gone the urethane route...although I like the idea for coating at least my underwraps with Permagloss.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster