I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

drying motor parts
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: February 03, 2005 10:25AM

Questions:

1. what parts do I need to build a drying unit?

2. What rpm size motor?

3. Can I use it for finishing as well as drying?

4. Is it easier just to buy a rod dryer for single rods?

Thanks,
Bruce

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: drying motor parts
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 10:29AM

What do you mean by finishing??

Mike

Date: February 03, 2005 10:34AM

When I am varnishing the thread wraps. Can I use the dryer motor for both processes?

Date: February 03, 2005 10:56AM

Sure! That's pretty much what people are referring to when they talk about drying motors. Even when "hand drying", I put the rod in my "dryer" and turn by hand while I'm applying epoxy and manually turn the blank when needed and turn the motor on after a couple hours and the epoxy is pretty much set. When not hand turning, I just stick the rod in the dryer, turn it on and apply finish.

As for speed, I have dryers ranging from 3 to 30 rpm and can't say as I have noticed any major differences with any of them although I think that the general consensus is that 18rpm is a pretty popular, all around speed

If you are going to build a dryer, I would strongly recommend a double dryer. Doesn't take any longer and if you're using $4 or $5 motors, why not? You'll be glad you did when you want to finish a 9' 2 piece or have a couple repairs to do

Sure, it's easier to buy a dryer and many prefer to, but just like a custom rod, you get to choose the components/featyres and design that suit you

Mike

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2005 11:12AM by Mike Barkley.

Date: February 03, 2005 11:01AM

Thanks, Mike! What parts do I need besides the motors? Would I just mount 2 chucks on each end to hold the rods?
Also, while the motor is running and I'm finishing varnishing the thread wraps, can I just leavethe motor turning until it dries or will the varnish run or sag?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2005 11:10AM by Bruce A. Tomaselli.

Date: February 03, 2005 11:20AM

The main thing is the motors and some scrap wood. You can make a chuck from a PVC endcap (look in the Photo Page under equipment or search for chuck). You can also just build the motor shaft up with masking tape to the ID of the blank and slip the blank onto the shaft and wrap a piece of tape over it. Crude, but very effective and the price is right! They are a little pricey, but I also like the Streamside chucks from Mudhole which can handle anything from a fly rod tip to a completed musky rod.

Do a search on this site and type in dryer and you will get tons of info and ideas. Did you get the picture that I sent the other day?

Mike

Date: February 03, 2005 11:24AM

Yes, I received the photo. Do you need to have chucks on each end of the rod?

Posted by: Jon Jenkins (Elrod) (---.brns.cox-internet.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 11:36AM

Nope, just chuck the rod on one end and use a rod support or two for the rest of it. A rod support is as simple as an upright piece of wood with a "V" cut into it (line it with felt or cloth to prevent marring the blank). The only "technical" part of building a dryer setup is you want the blank to be a perfectly level as possible, I used to stack pieces of paper under the supports to get them level. Tons of ideas on chucks, what I did at first was a 2" PVC cap. Drilled a hole in the center to match the motor shaft, epoxied in place. Then I took 4 wood screws and screwed them into the side at 0,90, 180, and 270 degrees (equally spaced around the side). Now take four rubber bands and criss-cross them around the blank.......whola...self centering chuck! For mid sections (where you would have a ferrule wrap) I took a piece of cedar and widdled a taper on it. Chuck the other end of the cedar, stick the taper inside the blank, done. I did take tape and wind it sticky side out along the taper to "grip" the inside of the blank a little better.
Hope this makes sense. As far as mounting the motor.....I took 1x4 wood and cut the hole to match the motor. My motor had flange on it to put mounting screws in, but you could epoxy the motor in place as well if needed. I have since built a dryer with adjustable dryer supports, but doesn't give any better results, just something I wanted.
Elrod

Date: February 03, 2005 11:46AM

What Jon said!!! Jon, how about posting a pix of your adjustable support dryer (or e-mail it to me)??

Mike

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (24.199.174.---)
Date: February 03, 2005 12:06PM

I went at it from the other direction. I made the motor support adjustable, so I could use my standard V-supports. Mounted the motor to a piece of plexiglas, built a base piece from wood and then clamp the plexiglas to the wood base with a spring loaded one hand clamp at the right height I need to get the rod level using my standard supports.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster