I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Penn State Industries
Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 06:35PM

Anyone with a Penn State Midi Lathe tell me if they received instructions, parts list and warranty information with their lathe? Just got mine and there's no documentation with it at all. Perhaps there's someplace to download a PDF of the manual?

I've emailed Penn State but thought I'd check here... can't figure there not being a warranty card and parts list included. Box was pretty rough, guess the manual may have fallen out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Penn State Industries
Posted by: Anonymous User (63.146.104.---)
Date: February 02, 2005 09:37PM

i recieved mine in EXACTLY the same shape, minus a lock ring. called the factoty, got a sale rep(?) on the phone and though he was not very eager about it all, i got the manual in the mail about 10 days later. was real ho-hum about it all. also-they sent me a flyer advertising the new 4 jaw chuck they are pushing. went online to order it, are back ordered until april. REALLY wish i had bought a JET. oh well, maybe next time.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 09:57PM

I had excellant service from Penn State and my lathe was delivered with full manual warranty, etc as were other items that I have ordered from them. Sounds like you got hold of a bad employee. Maybe you should ask for a supervisor!!

Mike

Date: February 02, 2005 10:08PM

I called them to and was asked to call back when I could talk to a 'tech'. I'll be working tomorrow but my wife is going to call. Hopefully they'll take care of things ASAP. The 3 jaw chuck I ordered was backorder too.

Have you had much time to use your lathe yet? I just turned the rear grip for a spinning rod, and, ran into a couple new little dilemmas. One thing just leads to another I reckon.

Date: February 02, 2005 10:47PM

I've been using it for a few months and have nothing but praise about it!! Quite a few guys who frequent this board use one and these are the only 2 complaints that I have ever heard about it. What kind of dilemma's are you running into???

Mike

Date: February 02, 2005 11:23PM

Mike, I'm not complaining about the lathe - I'm happy as heck! Been wanting one for 2 years. I'd almost bought the Grizzly Hobby lathe a couple times but knew if I did I'd just end up wanting something to turn wood on, so, I held out till I could swing the Penn State.

I just turned a rear grip using Andy Dear's mandrels and it's the smoothest grip with the least glue lines I've ever turned out. The problem I ran into was reaming the grip out fit the blank -- I just need to get more various sized reamers put togather I believe. Other little thing I've got to work out is the butt cap. All the rods I've made till now I've turned the handle down with the cork rings glued to the blank. I'd sort of come up with a routine to turn the cork down for the butt cap -- I just need to come up with a new routine.

I'm sure Penn State will get me a manual and the warranty info. Pretty much decided to purchase it from recommendations here. And, if you got a few months head start on me using this lathe..... well, hope you'll answer some of my sure to come amature questions.

Thank ya,
NT

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 08:14AM

Neil, one thing that may help on your reaming problem is to pre drill your rings to about the same ID as the smallest area they will set on the blank. This will allow a minimal about of reaming for a tight fit.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2005 08:15AM by Doug Moore.

Date: February 03, 2005 09:57AM

Neil,

Doug beat me to it!! That's the way to do it! I'm still a novice with wood but feel free to ask any questions you have here, or just e-mail me.

Mike

Date: February 03, 2005 05:14PM

Thanks for the advice. Think I was just a little over catious and drilled out the rings smaller than needed to begin with.... so much to learn!

As for the manual for the Penn State lathe (for anyone considering one), my wife called the company today and they knew what she was talking about before she'd even finished a sentence. They said that was a packing problem from the manufacturer and they'd send me the manual and warranty info right away. Guess the gal she talked to was nice and helpful.... so, I'm tickled pink.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster