I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide placement question
Posted by: Shanon Hedgecock (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 01:00PM

I'm assembling my first rod, a Tiger-Eye 7' four piece four weight. I can't find any guide spacing charts with a 4 piece 7 footer listed. Is there any change in guide sizes because of the extra sections? REC recommends a 1 1 1 1 2 2 3 with a #10 stripper. Flyfisherman.com suggests 1 1 1 2 2 2 3 with a #8 stripper. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Shanon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide placement question
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 01:15PM

There isn't any change in size. I personally wouldn't use a #8 stripper on a four weight. I use a #10 even on three weights. Are you planing to use snake guides or single foot wire guides? If you haven't already done it, go to the "Library" and get the article on Static Guide Placement so you'll know where to put each guide.

Posted by: Shanon Hedgecock (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 01:25PM

snakes

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 02:15PM

Considering this is your first rod, you should seriously consider using at least single foot wire guides. They require half the work in prepping the feet, half the work in wrapping and half the work in finishing. If you use the Forhan locking wrap(ariticle in Library), they will not pull out. The single foot wire guides are sized the same as snake guides so you don't have to convert the sizing. Prepping snake guide feet is made harder by the fact that both feet must sit prefectly level on the blank which means you will have to use something to adjust the feet to get them level. I've never seen a snake guide sit level as it came from the supplier. I built a number of fly rods with snake guides but after building my first with single foot ceramics and one with single foot wire guides, I'll never use snakes again. Ceramics are the best and wear forever. I have snake guides on one rod that need to be replaced by of grooving in the wire. When I spend $50-60 on a fly line, I don't want it getting ruined by a groove in the guide.

But, that's only my opinion. There are plenty who would not agree, but also a lot who would.

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 03:35PM

Use a 7' two-piece placement chart as a starting point, locating the guides with the sections assembled to make a two piece rod, then work out your optimum guide placement using the static guide placement instructions in the FAQ's. I always try to work out a guide placement in which a guide is on the ferrule for a tip-over-butt ferrule blank, lije the Tiger Eye. The diameter of the female ferrule is often greater than the diameter of the section where the next guide will be. In such a case it is best to increaase the size of the guides in order to maintain a smooth line through the guides. I'm guessing this is a backpacking rod. A #8 stripper is OK in that case, although I would also prefer a #10. You might like the REC Recoil guides for this rod, to save weight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster