I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rattle?
Posted by: karen erickson (---.dsl.zianet.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 09:57AM

Just got my first coat of epoxy on my rod(H&H XT51 2 wt) and flexed it up and down and it has a "rattle" or a sensation of something loose. The only thing I can think of is I haven't glued the reel seat butt on yet, and thought maybe the butt of the rod was bouncing against the reel seat, but I put tape around the butt to epoxy to, so that shouldn't be it. I also stuck toothpicks into the space between the seat and the butt, and that didn't change it. Anybody have an idea about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rattle?
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 10:04AM

Is it really a rattle or is it more like a "click"? It could be that the ferrule fit isn't quite right and what you're hearing is the butt end hitting the insides of the tip section.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 02, 2005 10:53AM

If it's a really high-pitched sound, like tinkling glass or crinkling cellophane, that could just be the thread finish (epoxy) working off its initial stiffness, until you flex it more. LOL, -Cliff Hall-

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 10:56AM

Finish the rod. Then try that again

Date: February 02, 2005 11:01AM

Well, I would, except I'm thinking I might like to squeeze some epoxy into the butt end first - wouldn't that dampen a vibration? Or would it add too much weight?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 11:16AM

If not all is glued, you probably have some thing making noise. Glue it up. let it dry good. Then try again. Don't flex it until it is dry.

Posted by: Richard E. Case (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 12:48PM

Karen,

Before you glue anything else, you might try to flex the rod while holding each guide(one at a time) to see if you have a loose guide. If a guide is loose, the noise will stop while you are holding the guide. Just kind of shake the rod while holding the first guide then move down the blank trying each guide. If you find a loose guide, you will have to rewrap it or live with it. If the noise continues the above information about the ferrule could be the noise maker. Twist the sections to see if there is a better fit, only to see if the noise stops. If the noise stops, you will have to make some other decisions as to what you need to do.

Good Luck.

Rick Case
RodsByRick

Date: February 02, 2005 01:27PM

Thanks for all the replies. I don't think it is a ferrule problem, as I "waggled" it as soon as I wrapped the ferrule and couldn't feel anything. It is a "feel" vibration, not a "sound" vibration. Tried the guides, but didn't get any feel from them. Good news is, I put a reel on it and cast it and it's not very noticeable, so if all else fails, I can live with it.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: February 02, 2005 05:00PM

One time I had this rattle in the rod and couldn't figure it out. For about three days it was bugging me. I finally figure out that the uplocking screw on hood for my fuji reel seat was vibrating on the threads!! I laughed my tail off because I was getting so frustrated with the rod. Everything was glued up and the handle was tight along with the grips but when the reel is not seated in between the hoods that uplocking reel hood vibrates. Check yours it could be that simple.

Dan Grulke

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster