I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9' 12 Weight Fly Rod for Tuna
Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: February 01, 2005 07:49PM

I need some suggestions on guides and sizes for a Fly Rod being use for tuna. Anyone ever build one?

Thanks in advance

David Banaka

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9' 12 Weight Fly Rod for Tuna
Posted by: Chris Chick (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 01, 2005 08:43PM

You can use any top of the line SIC guides for the strippers.

I'd start with 25, 20. 16. 12. 10.

Then switch some nice heavy duty snakes for the next 5. H&H makes some of the best I've seen.

chris

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2005 09:10PM

David,

Without a doubt, SiC ceramic throughout. You're not casting far so if you can keep things straight at your feet there is no benefit of using big guides. I'd go with a #16 V frame followed by a #12, #10 tamer setup with the V-frames. Then drop straight to either #10 or #8 single foot ceramics for the rest of the rod. Tuna will smoke a reel/line. You want the slickness of the SiC guides to cut as much of that friction as you can.

I'd also look for something a little heavier than a 12 for Tuna. A 14 wt wouldn't be out of place and a 15/16 would probably be better unless you plan to stick with 25 lb inshore schoolies.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: February 01, 2005 09:20PM

I don't think snakes are a good idea for a rod with that intent........ that is just my oppinion . Personaly I would use a couple of high framed strippers , then single foot stainless with incerts , or better yet titanium framed runners, I would even concider double foot runners . Depending on the blank , you can incorperate a fighting grip on the butt section , I've done so on few 10 wts , against my better judgement and the advice of others.........but the rods have held up so far. The guide size will depend on the lines used , and knot size . That's big fish that's going to be on the end of the line, should be fun. JD

Got Fish ?

Date: February 02, 2005 08:32AM

A 12 weight fly rod is a great casting rod, if you build it so.

In this day and age a 12 weight is not the beast they used to be. I have built quite a few and can quite easily drop the whole line.

Not to say you couldn't build it to be a drop back rod for sailfish or such for short casts. But why would you want to??

A forward fighting grip on a 12 weight is a must.

The size BFT/YFT you can comfortably target on a 12 weight is right around the 50# range. Anything larger and you get into marathon battles of an hour+. Not good for fish survival or angler back. If this is the size class of fish you think you will be targeting, you will want a decent casting stick. You could use single footed guides, but snakes in this size rod are in no way a hinderance.

If you plan on chasing larger fish, consider a 14 weight.

chris

Date: February 02, 2005 09:24PM

He is using the rod for Tuna off of the Oregon coast.

Date: February 03, 2005 08:56AM

I don't know the tuna fishery out there very well, being on the East Coast.

But a 50# tuna here or there is about tops for a 12 weight IMO.

A 50# YFT will give a 12 weight all it can handle, a 50# BFT is much more manageable.

Ask him some more questions as to specific species and size category. I would consider 12 the mini,um for tuna and i've built up to 19 for them. They put to test every inch of the fly rod.

chris

Date: February 03, 2005 08:31PM

Chris,

We get the smaller guys out her 10-30 # or so.

Date: February 03, 2005 11:14PM

David,

That 12 weight is going to be perfect.

I would build it as a casting stick, with larger strippers and snakes. For fish in that size class it will be great for casting and fighting. Not overpowering, but no long drag outs that can unnecessarily kill the tuna.

chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster