I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Size 20 Tip Top Lami 136 1MH?
Posted by: Shawn Taylor (---.medfrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2005 07:24PM

Putting an order together for components tonight and need an option for a #20 tip top. Blank is a Lamiglas 136 1MH. Wanted to use BMNAG, but the biggest tip is a 16. Hardloy comes in a 20, but would rather have everything match! Have heard of using a ring guide, but not sure how that will look or hold up? Any suggestions or experience building this blank with anything other then Hardloy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Size 20 Tip Top Lami 136 1MH?
Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2005 08:48PM

Shawn, I think your gonna have a hard time finding a tip tube that big to match the rest,
However you might look into these......
Fuji SIC tip -gunsmoke RST16-20
16-22
16-26
Merrick Tackle (not a Fuji product)
BULT12-20
or
Perfection tip company
PTCT20
All can be found from the sponsors at the left.
I build on lami 136 2 mh and the tip on that on is only a 16
I was suprised to see that the one piece had a 20 tip?!
No matter what you do MEASURE for yourself (the blanks tip)
as Lami is not always right about the actual size!

Posted by: Dean Pertot (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 01, 2005 09:43PM

Shawn:

We stock these blanks regularly. They are actually an 18 Tip.

Dean P.
donartrods.com

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (66.155.194.---)
Date: February 02, 2005 07:54AM

Eric, thanks for the heads up. Thinking the Fuji UST 12/18 may be better for casting then the RST, but good call either way. Just wish I could find a top to match the BMNAG's I want to use! Dean, thanks for the confirmation on tip size, but shorltly after writing this post I realized I had broken that tip before. Sure enough, I had that broken tip top and was able to see it was an 18. If I recall, it was a tight fit though! In fact, the biggest hardloy tip is a 20/18. Oh well, the quest continues, but looks like I'll have to settle.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 02, 2005 10:33AM

The Silicon Carbide (SIC) UST or RST are more rugged than the Hardloy, if you can splurge the extra cost. One cracked Hardloy from smashing the tip-top hard will convince you the SIC ring is worth the extra money. LOL, -Cliff Hall-.

Eric - Nice write-up. Thanks for doing for Shawn what was done for you. -Cliff-
RBO POST: "which tip #" Author: eric riggs Date: 12-09-04 00:08
"I'm using a Lami GSB 136 2MH blank. ..."

An easy solution
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2005 11:31AM

In the RodMaker article on Surf Rods, Ken Preston mentioned a really neat way around this problem. Take a regular double foot guide in the version of your choice, put the double leg side on top the rop tip and bend the single leg side back under and along the underside of the rod tip. Wrap in place.

This is a great tip when you run into the type situation you're up against right now. It allows you to use nearly any guide type or ring style you desire on large diameter rod tips.

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (---.medfrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 05:46PM

Cliff, if you read my post you'll see I already busted a tip on that rod, unless that's what you are referring to. Either way, it's almost to be expected on a rod 11' 6" long. Not everyone has a pole barn to keep their long rods in, LOL! No biggy though. I did find a tip that is as close a match to the BMNAG's as I could hope for, the BHNNT12(18) Silicone Nitride. Even has the support guide foot like the Alconites BFAT's do. Should work out just fine, so keep it in mind for anyone wanting to stay consistent and use BMNAG's on that blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster