I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Varathane Diamond as a CP
Posted by: Scott jungdahl (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 06:47PM

This post is for Steve Bohrer or anyone who has tried his suggestion concerning using Varathane as a CP.

The question - Is the product your refering to actually Varathane Diamond Wood Finish - Outdoor in gloss?
There are a few products using the Varathane Diamond name in blue cans. I assume it refers to the exterior Varathane that does have the words "Crystal clear" on the label. It does come in different finishes and it does have UV protection.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Varathane Diamond as a CP
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas3.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 07:05PM

You want the blue can. Above where it says " Diamond Wood Finish" it say " Cyrstal Clear Waterborne " & just below the picture on the can it says "Interior". I use it all the time as a cp. It comes in pints, quarts and gallons. A pint will last for a long, long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2005 07:37PM by Bob Crook.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 07:44PM

Where do you get it? Not at Home Depot, not at Wal-Mart, not in two paint stores I went to.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 07:52PM

I will be using this and several oher non-CP's as CP;s to see how they work in butt wraps. I know from other's experiance they work well on guides, but I need to know for myself if it will work teh same on a butt wrap where the background will have different colors. I hope it will.

Also on teh list: Liquidtex Gloss Medium, hairspray, other water brands of based Polyurathanes.

Date: January 31, 2005 07:55PM

I bought mine at Ace Hardware. The Flecto Company has been bought or taken over by Rust - Oleum so maybe the name on the cans has changed? Here is a link to the website where you can locate a dealer: I also think that Minwax has the same stuff under their name.

[www.flecto.com]

Minwax Polycrylic

[www.minwax.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2005 08:02PM by Bob Crook.

waterbased UV Varathane stinks outdoors
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 09:10PM

I used the expensive exterior water based Varathane about 2 yrs ago on an exterior door, it lasted less than 1 1/2 yrs before the finish started cracking badly. I've used the oilbased Varathane for yrs with great results but the more expensive(at least at my Home Depot) waterbased stuff @#$%& imo. Would tend to think its not gonna offer much UV protection on a rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2005 09:49PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: January 31, 2005 09:57PM

Jim,

It is not used as a finish, it is only a color preserver. I always apply epoxy, Perma Gloss or spar urethane as a finish. Most all water based finishes are meant for interior use only.

Bob

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 10:34PM

I guarantee you this product was an exterior water based Diamond finish by Varathane, $35/gallon at Home Depot, it sucked as an exterior finish
Why mess with something like this anyways when there are plenty of color preservers that work for those that use them.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 10:38PM

i have been using olympic water based poly with great results.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 10:54PM

I'm with Jim. Why???????????????????

Mike

Posted by: Larry Pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 10:57PM

because it has worked better than anything else i have tried although i have not used gudebrod 811.

Date: January 31, 2005 11:28PM

Ditto to what Larry said. It is also cheaper, most all of the CP sold by the rod building suppliers costs about $2.00 per ounce and a 8 ounce can of Varathane Diamond (interior) sells for less than $4.00. It can also be used for other wood working projects around the house and is something you can get at your local hardware store

Date: February 01, 2005 07:05AM

Why not? The color preservers currently on the market each has thier issues. Build a better mouse trap - or at least try to.

Posted by: Scott Jungdahl (204.146.182.---)
Date: February 01, 2005 04:11PM

It was hard but I found some. They had it at Sears hardware
I had to buy a gallon - should last a while

It was on clearance for $4.00 - a gallon

A bit cheaper than Gudebrod.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 01, 2005 04:42PM

Now I know why! Good reason!!!

Mike

Posted by: Scott Jungdahl (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2005 07:02PM

Hey all
I am selling 4 oz bottles of color preservative for 7.25 + 5.25 shipping (although I can ship it to Anchorage Alaska for 2.00).

(128 / 4) X 10.50 - 4.00 = 332.00
thats why Jim

This is a joke guys. I do understand the importance of our suppliers and I am not really selling CP.
I do sometimes wonder however.

Date: February 01, 2005 07:21PM

Scott, feell free to send me some for free, that would be cool. I'll even let you pay the shipping to New York. lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster