I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting rod blank?
Posted by: Larry Nguyen (---.bro.capgroup.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 02:38PM

Hi everyone...

I am new to this hobby. I have never ever built a rod at all. It seems very fun. I just had a couple questions right now.

I recently bought one Cascade RX7 7'10 1pc. 12-20wt. Bass Blank Clear. It is a dark grey - black color. I was wondering if it can be painted to

be another color...i.e. just like the Shimano Teramar rods, the rod color is cool and I am sure the blank doesn't come like that. But how to make

it that color or any color you want without ruining the blank? Do I just spray paint it with any color I like? Also, is a flexcoat and epoxy coat the

same thing???

Thanks,

Larry Nguyen
laurence7@hotmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting rod blank?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2005 03:34PM

There is a complete article on refinishing rod blanks in the on-line library here. It has about all the info you need.

Flex Coat epoxy adhesive and Flex Coat Rod Builders Adhesive are different things. One is for finishing wraps and one is for bonding assemblies.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas3.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 03:48PM

I have been playing around with painting blanks and painted an old spining rod that I stipped with Rust - Oleum Paint for Plastic in a spray can. The original color was a silver gray, I turned the rod by hand and sprayed from about 10 inches away. After letting it dry for 24+ hours I buffed it with a Scotch Brite pad and applied a coat of spar urethane to about half of it and left the other half with only the paint. The area coated with the urethane can't be scratched with a finger nail or a dull knife blade but I can scratch the uncoated area with just my finger nail.

All in all it looks good. One note of caution, don't spray inside the house, there is considerable overspray and the vapor is not good for ones health.

Bob

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 04:12PM

Larry, as Tom has stated, the library's article on refinishing will give you all the information required to get professional results. Just a note from my past mistakes, if you use just about any brand of paint other than that designed for automotive coatings, and want to apply something to protect the finish, then as Bob has suggested, use spar urethane.

It has been my misfortune to discover that a top coat of permagloss (great stuff) on anything less than a quaility automotive paint will dissolve the finish when applied. And believe me...it makes one @#$%& of a mess!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Larry Nguyen (---.bro.capgroup.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 04:16PM

Thanks guys!

Posted by: Derek L. McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: February 01, 2005 10:45AM

I have used Krylon for Plastic on rods AND Penn reel Bakelite sideplates with some success...I agree with Bob that a good clearcoat is a must. I am also expeimenting with Createx airbrush paints for rods and reels. Appliance epoxy spray pain works as well.

Ventilation is a MUST...I was bad the first time and when I blew my nose it was sure colorful....sorry for the gross-out, but caution is necessary here.

Hmmmmm.....Haven't tried car paints yet

Derek

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster