I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

filling cork
Posted by: Bob Shaughnessy (---.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 10:01AM

Looking for some suggestion of the best way to fill a small chip of cork that had broken out of a foredrip. Any help or suggestions would be helpful. I was thinking the old corkdust and glue method, not sure if its the best way. Thanks,
BOB

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: filling cork
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 10:39AM

Bob,

Click on the search button above, type in "filling cork", select "all dates" from the drop down menu and you will get about 5 pages regarding filling cork.

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (---.inchord.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 11:48AM

Most of the methods use cork dust (leftover from boring out grips) mixed with something. I use Rod Bond. If you use this or other epoxies be sure to smooth out the fillled area before it hardens because sanding it down is tough and you may end up sanding the grip too.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 12:04PM

I use fine cork dust from a finer grit paper. Mix it with Duco cement (WalMart), put a bit of the cement in the cleaned hole to be filled first then add the mixture. Maybe use a dental pick or a small paper clip so you use very little. Sand with a sanding block when dry, not fingers, to keep from sanding the rest of the grip.

Putter

Posted by: Richard E. Case (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 12:13PM

Bob,
the above methods are proven to be good ones. The last time I had to repair cork was on a fly rod over the metal hood part of the reel seat. That area is very thin and shapely. Used an exacto knife to clean up the chipped area, cut and shaped an insert piece to exact size, used superglue to secure it in place and sanded it level. The owner could not see where I had made the repair, so I guess that way works also, or the customer has worse eysight than I do.

Good luck and use your creativity, works every time.

Rick Case
RodsByRick

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 01:27PM

I just did a repair like that using Elmers Wood Filler, sold in tubes. Easy to apply, dries fast, sands well. The Golden Oak color looks darker than cork when wet, dries to a color just slightly lighter than the cork I have. Don't know yet how durable it's going to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2005 03:13PM by Tom Doyle.

Posted by: Bob Shaughnessy (---.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 02:52PM

Appreciate the help guys

Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.nwcspa.adelphia.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 05:37PM

The Elmer's is great stuff. It wil last a long, long time before it falls out.

Kevin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster