I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New guide concept system confusion
Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 11:12PM

I know that this has been covered over and over again but I'm still having trouble getting my mind around this one. Since I don't have the resources to have a wide range of guide types/sizes, where am I supposed to start with the new guide concept? I think that I understand that picking the guides first and using the system to simply space the guides is not the best way to do things. Is it however better than nothing? I can't seem to figure out where to start on this one. Any help will be appreciated.

Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New guide concept system confusion
Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: January 30, 2005 11:58PM

What are you building? It kinda depends on the blank and what guides. I use Batson single foot guides and build all bass and walleye rods. I use single foot 25,16,08,fly 06 out to the tip. I used to play around with trying different sizes and heights and test casting and all the other stuff but in the end I never really gained much so now this is what I use most of the time. I'm sure others have other opinions but It works for me.

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 12:03AM

I will be building a spinning rod on a Rainshadow blank for light inshore saltwater fishing. The reel will be an old Mitchell 302. Like I said I can't afford to try many different guide sizes at this point but I would like to get things as good as possible. This will be the first rod I've built for someone other than myself (my father-in-law). Thanks for your response.

Peter

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 12:10AM

I would give batsons a call and they will probably tell you what will work the best. I have never seen the big waters in my life for all my rods are around 6'-6'6". Light duty. Others may be able to help if you know what blank your working with. I like the batson guides because they dont cost much and they work.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 12:26AM

Peter,
Send me an e-mail and we'll figure out what you need to do. spoonplugger1@comcast.net.

Spencer

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 06:47AM

Peter: What you start with also depends, strongly so, on the reel you use. If it's a long inshore rod with a typical 4000 size reel, and if you are using Batson components, you might want to start with a size 30 VSLG, though a 25 might work also as Travis suggests, it depends on the actual reel when mounted on the actual rod. The position of the intersection point is also dependent on whether the reel seat was mounted truly parallel to the blank, just a slight deviation changes the intersction point quite a bit.

With a starting 30, a good progression would be VSLG 30, 20, 12, 8 to the intersect, then FLG size 7 or 6 fly guides to the tip.

A complete set of VSLGs costs less than $10; you really should keep a set for testing the setup. Even if you build only one rod (trust me, you won't), you will use half of those guides anyway, so it costs you less than an extra $5 to get it right.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.138.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 07:09AM

First find the spine. Guides on or 180 from the spine is your preference-usually on the inside of curve on spinning
Next glue the seat and handle on - line up acording to where your guides will point
Then put your reel on. I take the spool off and use the shaft to line up the chock guide and the transition guides.
A streight edge along the shaft will tell you where the guides will be placed - line the shaft to a table edgewher the edge hits the blank is where the chock guide goes.
Several guides are then placed ( before ) the chock along this line - if you can get the line into the center of each guide - good, not totally necessary
From the tip top guide to the chock guide - usually the same size guides
When you look though the butt guides to the chock guide, they should look like a ( bull's eye ) each one centered with the other

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2005 09:00AM

You don't need a lot of guides to do this. Buy one of each of the Fuji New Concept High Frame models (or similar) and then a handful of small fly type single foot guides in size 6 or 7. In the Alconite series (or similar) you're talking less than $20.

This will provide you with all you need to set the system up properly. Worst case scenario is that you'll end up with 2 or maybe 3 guides you won't use. Just put them back for the next rod or consider those few extra dollars the price you paid to have a really nice performing rod.

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: January 31, 2005 11:40AM

Using this system, is it common to use fly guides for the small guides rather than traditional spinning guides?

Posted by: Scott Hunt (---.arcadis-us.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 12:47PM

Pete,

I am just a recreational builder (building rods for myself only). I took the advice like that given above and just order a bunch of extra guides. The ones I didn't end up using I just returned to the place I bought them from without any problem.

Scott Hunt

Thank you!

Scott Hunt

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 01:31PM

Peter: You asked: is it common to use fly guides for the small guides rather than traditional spinning guides? Yes, very common, and I recommend doing this as a way to get the line close to the blank and to minimize the weight near the tip. Use a security wrap or, better, a Forhan Locking Wrap for these guides, actually, for all your guides. How to do this is in the Library here.

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: January 31, 2005 02:11PM

Thanks. I never would have thought to use fly guides. I have used the Forhan locking wrap on my rods with single foot guides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster