I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Father-in-law wants three rods!
Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 12:06PM

I have recently become horribly addicted to rod building and have been trying to figure out how I can justify/afford to build more rods. My father-in-law has just made it possible for me to feed the demon! He wants me to build three rods for him, and is willing to pay $100 - 200 per rod. He wants to aim for good mid-range blanks and components. I have built two fly rods and am just finishing up a spinning rod on a St. Croix SCII blank. He wants all spinning rods which I know very little about so I would like some opinions on suitable blanks.

First he wants a blank for inshore saltwater fishing in the Florida panhandle. He is not sure exactly what kind of fishing he will be doing so some sort of general purpose blank will be best. I know this is sort of vague but if you guys can get me started in the right direction that would be great.

The other two rods will be used for warm water fishing. I have some ideas about these rods but would like your opinions. I'm thinking something in the med/light to med power range in a two piece. What blanks are your favorites?

Thanks for your input. You all are a great resource and I have learned much of what I know about rod building on this site.

Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Father-in-law wants three rods!
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 02:25PM

Peter,
There are some two piece inshore/flats blanks that will work in warm freshwater for things larger than panfish. A few heavy freshwater/ med hvy saltwater 2 piece for big fish/ heavy cover fishing also. Is this where you were heading? Did you need a panfish blank in the mix?

Spencer

Posted by: Dick Murchison (204.60.102.---)
Date: January 30, 2005 02:47PM

Peter,

I too just started building my own rods. I try to stick with the basics and suggest a kit for them at first. As I progress, I can be a little more aggressive in purchasing parts individually. With the kit, you get everything. I have alot of thread colors, so they can pick out the colors they want from my collection. I start by doing rods for family and real close fishin' buddies until I feel comfortable with doing it. I try to get a few bucks from them just to cover what material I used of my own, as this sets well with the "boss"!!! Its a start at least and I found that you get alot of help here on this site. All are very nice and helpful!

Good Luck,
Dick

Date: January 30, 2005 05:12PM

Spencer,

He is wanting three different rods that he will be keeping in three different states as he doesn't want to be carting them around. So I am curious about specific blanks, especially the saltwater blanks. I have been looking over my Mudhole catalog and am wondering if the Graphite USA United series would be a good choice. As for the freshwater rods, I'm a bit more familiar with this application and will probably go with a St. Croix or Rainshadow. I will probably make one a light power and the other a med-light. I would of course love to hear suggestions on specific blanks that you have used and like.

Thanks,

Peter

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2005 06:46PM

Peter,
If it has to be a 2 piece inshore rod I think one of the best I've had in my hands was the P 844-2 G Loomis. If you can go one piece than the world opens up to 4 power popping rods like those from Rainshadow and others or a 3 power mag bass blank. You want the lighter tip if he's going to be throwing live shrimp. Mullet strips or something like it is not so important IMO. Same with hardware. Haven't used any of the GUSA or United blanks on this category.

Date: January 30, 2005 07:02PM

Spencer,

Thanks for the info. As I have been pouring over the catalogs all afternoon, I have started to think that the Rainshadow RX7 popping blanks might be good for the saltwater rod. What are the differences between the popping and mag bass blanks?

Thanks,

Peter

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 12:07AM

Peter,
Popping rods are more moderate actioned. I think they are easier to cast accurately and keep live bait like a shrimp on because everything is a little less abrupt. Type A people and bass anglers seem to prefer the mag bass blank.

Spencer

Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.wi.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2005 10:40PM

Peter,

I've been building freshwater spinning rods for the past 6 years, all on St Croix blanks. I fish almost exclusively on the Chippewa Flowage in NW Wisconsin catching Walleye, Smallmouth, and Northerns primarily.

I have experimanted with many SCII, SCIII, and now, SCV blanks and have found the "perfect" blank for the freshwater gamefish I mentioned.

I've settled on the SCV 6 foot light fast St Croix blank. It is extremely light, and extremely sensitive. I fish with 1/8 ounce baits and 6# zero stretch line on a Shiman SY1000 reel and swear I can feel the fish just looking at the bait ; )

Seriously, I have landed everything from 5# Smallies to a 36" Musky on that combo and that blank has what it takes. It casts a mile yet allows a hookset with just a flick of the wrist. I'm currently building up a couple of copies for one of the guides up there since he loved the rod when I loaned it to him.

The blank is pricy but well worth it IMHO. Let me know if you decide to go this way and I'll give you the the details for guide type and spacing, etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster