I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Just for Someting NEW!
Posted by: Spencer Bass (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 10:00AM

I am in the process of finishing a cork grip and thought it would be nice to put something besides cork seal on it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Spencer Bass
Largo, Florida

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just for Something NEW!
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 10:14AM

I use Tru oil. Some guys have done nice work with stains (my next project) Here is a pix of some stained grips. He used minwax stains and a coat of polyurethane. Go to photo page and type in stain Also a search on stain on the board should get you a lot of info
[www.fishingphotos.net]

Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2005 10:18AM by Mike Barkley.

Re: Just for Something NEW!
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.254.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 30, 2005 10:36AM

I have just tried to stain cork with color tints and a thin mix of clear. I whip on with a paper towel and ( brown tint ) looks just like stain. Also gives some protection with the clear on. Any color can be used

Re: Just for Someting NEW!
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 30, 2005 11:03AM

The picture that Mike linked was a test I did on 4 discarded grips to see how the different shades of stain would look. Below is another link of 2 completed handles, stain is Minwax cherry and reel seats and butts are redwood. It is easy to do and I like the look of a stained grip.
Bob

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 11:40AM

Aha!! Now we know who GrampaBob is and I can give proper credit when I talk about you!! thanks

Mike

Date: January 30, 2005 12:20PM

That's what my grand kid's named me. Plan to change to my real name when the photo board update takes effect, LOL, Can't stand all the flack I get, bad enough just being a senior citizen,

Bob (akacoolgranpabob)

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 12:39PM

Danged Alzheimer's anyhow; I knew that but it had slipped into the dark recesses-you've posted the aka coolgranpabob before...

Putter

Posted by: Pat Ryan (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 12:43PM

I have been reading about staining grips on this phorum for a while and appreciate all of the information availiable. Grandpabob's pictures inspired me to stain the grip of the rod I am working on now (my first rod).

I had read about the stain basically not penetrating too deep and had read about different builders heating the stain and some even putting them in canning jars overnight. I am trying a method I had never heard about and not sure how it will turn out. I saw a commercial for one of those vacum packing machines on TV friday and in it they vacum packed marshmellows and the marsh mellows expanded. They said something about it opening the pores to suck out the air. Needless to say I now own a vacum packing machine.

I coated the grip very generously with olympic oil stain and vacum sealed it and left it overnight. This morning I took it out and wiped off the excess stain and it is drying. So far it looks like it took the stain very well. Once it dries out completely I plan on buffing it and coating it with cork seal or tru oil, haven't decided yet.

Pat Ryan

Date: January 30, 2005 01:25PM

Good idea Pat, will have to try that . I do that with salmon and steaks & marinade all the time and it works good for the barbecue, lot faster than letting it soak in the frig and it really penetrates the meat. I won't barbecue the cork though!!!!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 01:57PM

Yeah, cookin' cork wouldn't be cool, grandpa!!

Date: January 30, 2005 02:03PM

You never know, with marinade & barbecue sauce instead of stain it might not be bad, Putter?????

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster