I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9ft., 4 wt.
Posted by: mell segal (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: January 29, 2005 11:36AM

I'm new to the board, but have browsed for a while, and enjoyed the high level of discussion.Every year for the past 25 I've built a few rods from blanks, in my amateurish way, in the never-ending quest for that "perfect" rod. Thankfully I've yet to find it. Currently I'm looking to build an 8'9" to 9' 3, 4,or 5-piece rod to fish trout out west in Alberta or Yellowstone country. I'm looking for the usual: a light-in-the-hand, medium-fast action rod with that elusive "feel". Dan Craft offers two rods that might fit the bill: an 8'9" 3-piece SIG.V,
and a 9' 5-piece SIG.IV. I recently built his 8'9" SIG.V 6-weight; it casts like a cannon, and fits my needs for a streamer smallmouth rod perfectly, though you might want to overline it fishing close. I've talked to Dan a few times. He seems like a fine man, a straight shooter, and as expected he talks about his product with enthusiasm. However, since I can't "try before I buy", I'd appreciate user feedback. Anyone fish either of these rods? What did you think? Any other blank suggestions for a light, versatile 4-weight? Thanks in advance for the feedback, Mel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9ft., 4 wt.
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 29, 2005 12:43PM

Dan Craft's blanks are top notch. I have a Signature III 2 piece 8 ft - 2 wt , a FT 4 piece 9 ft - 5 wt, a 4 piece 10 ft - 10 wt and just received a FT 4 piece 10 ft - 3 wt. I am very pleased with the ones I have completed. IMHO the Dan Craft blanks are some of the best available and Dan is a great person to deal with, you won't go wrong with another of his blanks.

Bob

Posted by: Adolfito Rosas (---.200-43-126.telecom.net.ar)
Date: January 29, 2005 05:34PM

May I ask where can I buy "on-line" Dan Craft blanks? I see almost every day a post talking about all the wonders of these blanks compare to the "fair price".

Thanks!

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 29, 2005 06:26PM

Dan Craft is a sponsor of this site. On the left is a link to his site, Dan Craft Ent., where you will find his email address and also download his catalog. You can order from Dan by email or phone.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2005 06:29PM by Bob Crook.

Posted by: John Dow (---.235.252.64.snet.net)
Date: January 29, 2005 08:38PM

I'm currently finishing up 2 of Dans rods , and I must say they are the nicest blanks for the money I've seen yet . If they perform as good as they feel and look , I'll be building a lot more of them for myself and others. From what I hear they should . JD

Got Fish ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2005 08:38PM by John Dow.

Posted by: Davis Barnes (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 03:48PM

I have the Sig. V 8' 9" 4 wt. and it is my favorite trout rod. Does everything well, replaced my 9 ft. IMX 4 wt.(the 2 piece), which is a great rod, for almost all my trout fishing. Regardless of price, this is one of the nicest rods I have ever cast, IMHO.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 03:39AM

I have the 8ft9 4wt SIG V as well as several other SIG V's(including the 9ft 5wt).They are without a doubt some of the nicest and lightest rods I have ever cast(and I have A LOT of mid to high end rods to compare them to).For their price tag,they simply can't be beat as far as a high performance medium fast to fast action,fast recovery,ultra light weight blank goes.

The 8ft9 4wt is definitely on the powerful side as far as 4wts go and some may prefer a 5wt line on it for close to mid range distances,but it is a very versatile rod.I use mine with a heavier model 4wt line,like the SA GPX or RIO Grand most of the time when fishing lakes or large rivers.It's a great 4wt for longer casts,throwing indicator rigs,sinking lines,big dries and streamers,etc.Out to 50ft or so,I prefer it a bit more with a 5wt line(I usually use a Airflow 7000 as far as floaters go) and it makes an exceptional 5wt(as does the 9ft 5wt SIG V of course,which is very similar to the 4wt only a tad more powerful and prefers 5 or 6wts lines).It will do everything most good 5wts will do,only it's much lighter in the hand(one of the lightest 8ft9-9ft rods I've fished) and more enjoyable to fish over the day.

I HIGHLY recommend this rod as a mid to long range 4wt,or as a fantastic all around,wonderfully light in the hand 5wt.If you are looking for something delicate for fishing a 4wt line at closer distances for smaller fish though,it "may" be a tad more rod than you are looking for and the SIG IV could be a better fit.I think the SIG IV CC'd a point or so lower than the SIG V in the 9ft or so 4wts(check the CCS chart ),which would make it a bit less powerful and better suited to closer range with a 4wt line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2005 03:42AM by Tony Dowson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster