I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

power wrapper
Posted by: Kenny Sapp (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 09:52PM

I am hunting a power wrapper. I was wondering if I could get your opinions, who makes the best power wrapper. I'm only 15 but I was thinking of spending somwhere between 300-600 dollars. Who do ya'll think has the best?

Kenny Sapp

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: power wrapper
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 10:02PM

I'm a newbie here, but i've read a ton of posts on this subject. Most of the more experienced wrappers rocommend that you learn to wrap on a hand wrapper ( which is what I'm doing) then step up to a power wrapper. I built my own wrapper from stuff I had laying around the house so it didn't cost anything. It's not as pretty as the store-bought, but it serves my purpose. Once I get a few rods under my belt, I'm going to build my own power wrapper. I already have the sewing machine motor and pedal. Go to the pictures page and click on equipment, you'll see what's available to buy and what you can make yourself. In the library section obove there are plans for a jig if you are crafty and mechanicaly inclined. Check out @#$%& also there are some there pretty reasonable. Have fun and build some incredible rods.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mike Williams (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 10:16PM

Renzetti. If you can squeeze out the full $600 or maybe just a little more, get the Renzetti. It's a lifetime investment.

Posted by: Larry Laurent (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2005 10:52PM

I would suggest learning to wrap with a hand device, and spend the $300 - $600 on thread, blanks, glue, guides, handles, books, etc.
You may be surprised at how much you will do by hand even after you get a power wrapper.

Just my opinion, though.

Larry

Posted by: John Meyer (---.balt.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2005 06:03AM

Another thing to consider is just getting the bed rails and rod supports of a renzetti. It is really nice to have the rod secured in those supports! You can always add the other parts later....

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 06:06AM

Hi Kenny,

Renzetti is top of the line but with the add-ons that Pac Bay is coming out with they won't be far behind. I to would also suggest learning on a hand wrapper. If you are going to build less than 10 rods a year I'd go with the hand wrapper. As Larry stated put your money into thread, blanks, glue, guides, handles, books, etc. It would be sad to have a $600 Renzetti sitting there and no materials to build the rod with.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2005 08:46AM

If you've already been building rods for awhile and know what you want, then a Renzetti or Custom Power Wrap are tools you'd never be disappointed in. If you're just starting and not yet really sure what you'll be building or how long, you might follow the advice here and just get undeway with hand wrapper and see how things go. If you still want a power wrapper, the mid-range units from Pacific Bay, American Tackle and Batson Enterprises are all good units and I think all fall into the $300 ball park. There is a pretty good market for used wrapping machines so if you ever decided to move up, you could do so without taking much of a loss, and if you get good service from a machine in the meantime, then it's a wash anyway.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 29, 2005 08:58AM

Kenny,

If you are comfortable building a power wrapper from a sewing machine motor and foot pedal switch, I would suggest getting a small timing motor. (You can get them from www.allelectronics.om or www.surpluscenter.com for less than $5.00.) I made a wooden motor stand and attached a pedal switch to match my hand wrapper. If you send me your e-mail address I'll provide more details. I can still wrap by hand almost as fast as I can with the motorized wrapper. (Particularlly near the tip)

Ed

Posted by: kenny sapp (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 10:57AM

I am building on a hand wrapper right now . I was just looking for a suggestion to start looking at some power wrappers. I just recently finished my first rod and I'm addicted. My rod building buddy Doug said it would be so addicting that I would rather work on my rods than go fishing, I hope it wont get that bad. Its alot of fun.

Posted by: John Dow (---.235.252.64.snet.net)
Date: January 29, 2005 09:02PM

Kenny , building is as much fun as going fishing , but fishing gets better when you get to use the rods that you've built . I build 30 or so rods a year nad use a AMTAC wrapper witha couple of extra supports and a bed extension .I built 4 rods on a home made wrapper before I bought a power machine ,I have $400 or so into it and it serves me well . The nice thing is that you can shape cork , wrap , and dry on the same machine . I do have a bunch of small home made drying units for repair jobs that I get , that cost $5 bucks a piece to make . All Electronics , as Ed mentioned, has great deals on 30 rpm AC motors that make nice little drying units to free up the lathe for wrapping . You still do a lot of manual wrapping , but the added support of a chuck , and roller stands make wrapping much easier in my oppinion . Have fun building , John

Got Fish ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster