I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crankbait rod help
Posted by: Bob Benton (---.hvc.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 02:45PM

I am mostly a fly fisherman and fly rod builder so I have little experience with bass and crankbait fishing. a freind at work has asked me to sprial wrap a crankbait rod for him so I am looking thru the catalogs for a blank. He will be throwing deep wee r's and shad raps mostly for smallmouth. I have my eye on a Lamiglas ssp844 but would love suggestions from others who have a little eperience. I have sprial wraped a few heavy rods for striped bass here on the Hudson using the O'quinn method with some success. Comments?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crankbait rod help
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 03:36PM

Is your friend an experienced bass fisherman, especially with crankbait lures? If so, he may have developed a preference for certain actions, many crankbait fishermen prefer a moderate action rod, so as not to tear the small crankbait hooks out of the bass' mouth. Or he may prefer a more general purpose fast action rod. In either case, for those lures, I'd use a medium power rod. Ask your friend. If he doesn't know what he wants, I'd recommend a moderate action, medium power St. Croix SCIII blank, either 6'6" or 7'. These rods are specifically designed for crankbaits.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 03:54PM

Bob,

I, being a Bass fisherman myself, would prefer a 7 ft. medium action fiberglass rod. Fiberglass is more forgiving, especially with smallmouths, when fighting the fish close to the boat. Smallmouth are known for their never give up behaviour, and tend to run when they see the boat. Fiberglass gives with the fish, allowing for the hooks to not be torn out. I would check with the customer to see what he prefers.

Bill in WV

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: January 28, 2005 04:05PM

Can't go wraong with all those previously suggested. But don't forget to look at the rod blanks in the American Tackle line-up. There are several 1 piece and 2 piece rods to choose from.
The full line is handled by a number of fine ATC dealers, such as Mud Hole, Bingham, Richard's, and others.

good wrappin,
David A. Fuller
Great Basin Fishing Rods

Posted by: Brent Schneider (---.atgi.net)
Date: January 28, 2005 05:54PM

The suggestions above are very good ones. What I might add is that the lures you mention are pretty small and light especially the shad raps unless the are the very large ones. Most smallie crankbaits are on the medium to small side. I would definetly go with the Med. action over the MH. I got a few of the discontinued St Croix SC1 blanks from Richards Rods a while back. I Spiral wrapped them and they came out awesome. They are some of the best crank rods I have ever held. Now I wish they had not disc. them.
I have the SCIII and SC V blanks also. I would recomend a St Croix blank highly.

Brent

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 28, 2005 07:11PM

Don't forget about the Rainshadow/Forecast blanks. Check out our new all graphite small diameter Crank baits ( CB series) and also our E-Glass crank baits ( SPG series ) both lines are very good crank bait blanks. The Vision Continues - Offer Quality Blanks & Components at Reasonable Prices.. Check out our new website at www.batsonenterprises.com. Also feel free to contact us for your FREE color catalogs, IMHO the most comprehensive catalogs in the industry.
Thank you
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast
wbatson@olypen.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 11:30AM

Bob,
The Lamiglas blank I think would be put in the faster blank category above, tight tip that firm up rather quickly in the last half of the blank. The St Croix 3C70MM also mentioned is a sweet blank in the moderate category.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: January 30, 2005 11:21AM

St. Croix crankbait blanks are your best bet for price vs. performance and are domestic made right here in North America at their factroy in Wisconsin. The technology and backing go back over 45 years on their rods and blanks.
The Crankbait series mentioned are super for bass fishing fast reaction spinner and crank baits. The moderate action is what you want.
The graphite series are nice and light and responsive with sensitiviy that many bass anglers seek.
The S-Glass blanks made by their proprietary domestic process are available in satin black now and improved over the older blue models. You wouldn't be disappointed with their appearance and function.
Price vs. Performance....think St. Croix

For imports I would seriously consider the new American Tackle Matrix series AMC models from 6'6" to 7' models with med. lt. to heavy powers and moderat actions. Sweet blanks for the money and purpose. A beautiful forest green color with matrix butt woven construstion add appeal and strength.

Richard's Rod & Reel carry American Tackle Matrix , Heritage, Elite series and all the available models currently being made by St. Croix.
We are constantly stocking and ready to ship these blanks for our valued customers.

email: info@rodreel.com

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Kirk Eaton (---.sta.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 30, 2005 07:30PM

I know some guys that swear by Loomis CB743 and CB843, depending on the length you want. Sounds like he wants a 7' footer so check into the CB843. I will be wrapping some of those for myself later in the year. If he's throwing a no#5 balsa Shad Rap I hope he's using spinning tackle, which would negate the spiral wrap. To each his own.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster