I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cap and ring fly reel seats
Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: January 28, 2005 01:15PM

i am building a few small stream graphite fly rods, generally 3 and 4 weights for myself and close friends. i managed to buy from @#$%& a landmark black aluminum cap and ring fly reel seat with a walnut insert, basically their Springwater model. i would like to get 1 or 2 more cap and ring reels seats (not necessarily landmark but they would work) but cannot seem to find any leads as to where to purchase relatively inexpensive cap and ring seats with wood inserts that look nice. anybody have any leads?

i know bellinger, struble, golden witch and REC offer them but they start at $36 and go up from there. since these are for rods to be used during granite scrambling around sierra streams, i don't want anything that is too valuable. and honestly i do want to save some money. i've got a lead on a cork insert set but am still looking for wood insert sets.

but good quality ;-)

thanks

eric
fresno, ca.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cap and ring fly reel seats
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.att.net)
Date: January 28, 2005 01:27PM

Try 'Custom Tackle Supply' or 'Golden Witch' on the left. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.208.106.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: January 28, 2005 03:17PM

unless goldenwitch has other options available not shown on their web site, they are more than i'm looking for, although, i REALLY like what they offer. the fly rods i'm building are still "test" builds so i want to hold off on the premium reel seats until i'm ready to begin considering the rods first rate."

and custom takle supply is my alluded to source for the cork insert reel seats.

thanks! any further suggestions would be great.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.nwcspa.adelphia.net)
Date: January 28, 2005 03:47PM

You can usually find the old Pac Bay slide bands on @#$%& for around $10-15 a piece including shipping.

Struble and others also sell the simple metal bands and caps and you could easily turn a cork insert for them. This option should be pretty affordable.

Kevin

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: January 28, 2005 04:00PM

Eric. Try Cortland's web site. They have some aluminum cap and rings.

Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.townisp.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 04:11PM

Neal's had some in their closeout catalog. Click his link at left, then go to Rod Product and then Closeouts. Click to see the Table of Contents, then go to the second reel seat page.

He had Birdseye maple reel seats for $18

I think the one you're really looking for is listed as:

2/3 wt. Wood grain Fly reelseat

Black rings and all the hardware include as in picture. Walnut wood grain.

Price....$9.99 ea.

Buy 5 -9 at $6.50 ea.

Good luck,
Jackie

Posted by: Dan Lanie (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 06:08PM

Eric in Fresno,
REC Aluminum cap/ring reel seats are $28 not $36 and are available in anodized Black, Pewter, and our anodized Nickel Silver Color . There is no additional charge for any of our impregnated wood spacers in your choice of Emerald, Charcoal, Rosewood, Chestnut, and Cocobolo. Your choice of either mortised or oval spacer also although mortised is more popular. Standard bore is 0.3125''. Optional engraving on the cap or wood is available.
All seats are anodized to withstand the elements and have our distinctive Diagonal Knurling.
You can see them at www.REC.com.
Regards,
Dan Lanier/REC

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.213.179.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: January 29, 2005 06:50AM

dan

my apologies. i was referring to another company when i mentioned $36. thanks for the tip! i LOVE the look of REC components.

and to everybody else, thank you very much. all have provided me with great links and advice. i hope i can return the favor in the future.

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster