I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

marbelizing RPM
Posted by: Morris Cross (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 08:02PM

Is there a speed that is better than others when marbelizing guides? Also saw pictures of flat objects being marbelized,how? Maybe I am in need of a book on the art of fishing rod marbelizing or a better imagination. Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: marbelizing RPM
Posted by: Johnathan Sams (---.65-104.adsl.ij.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 08:17PM

Rodmaker magazine has done a couple articles on the process so far. You guys miss a lot of info by not taking the magazine. Way better than any book. More will be detailed at the National Rod Builders Show in Charlotte I think. Also check the online library section as I think one of the marble articles is in there.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 08:40PM

I've marbled guides several times and was able to do it with the rod turning in my dryer, but it's 2 RPM.

After marbling the guides, I would think any RPM as long as it wasn't ridiculously high would be fine.

I don't think I could do it on a dryer of, say, 18 RPM and keep up and do well. I'd have to use a foot pedal with it or do it by hand and then put it in the dryer.

Flat surfaces:

I've marbled some lamp brackets and reel parts that were pretty flat. These required hand turning until the finish was stiff enough that I could set them down; this is a bit hard on the wrists, though. But if I can't get it on the dryer, how else?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2005 08:43PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 12:05PM

When I do guides, I let the base coat sit 10 or so minutes before marbling and turn by hand for awhile or turn on a slow dryer (2 or 3 rpm

Mike

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 09:41PM

Putter,

What about something like the epoxy mixers that some guys are building. Wouldn't that work?

Bill in WV

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 03:17AM

I guess I haven't looked at these things, Bill. Maybe I'll do that in Charlotte...

Re: marbleizing RPM
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 11:31AM

Bill,

The epoxy mixers are to get thorough mixes of the 2 part epoxies without introducing bubbles. The purpose in letting the epoxy sit for a bit before marbling is to let it get thick enough so that the various colors don't just blend together.

Mike

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 04:42PM

Mike,

I know what the epoxy mixers are for. I was just brain storming a little to try and help Rady figure out a way to dry his reel parts so he didn't have to spend so much time turning them by hand. i had seen the mixers and I noticed that some of them had a turntable of sorts. I thought maybe he could adapt one with a dowel or a bolt or something. Just trying to help out. "Two heads are better than one." "But if I can't get it on the dryer, how else?" this was the question.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster