I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single Foot fly rod guide help when wrapping
Posted by: Tyndall Alligood (---.saralee.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 09:53AM

I am having a very hard time securing single foot guides when starting my wraps. I have been using masking tape which works great for the bigger guides but with the smaller ones it is not working well.

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single Foot fly rod guide help when wrapping
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 09:59AM

I use Flex Coat guide foot adhesive. When I tape single foot guides on I use 1/4" masking tape and on the smaller ones, I cut it in half lengthwise to get a piece about 1/8" wide.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 09:59AM

I use Flex Coat guide foot adhesive. When I tape single foot guides on I use 1/4" masking tape and on the smaller ones, I cut it in half lengthwise to get a piece about 1/8" wide.

Posted by: Darrell Lapointe (---.nb.aliant.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 10:22AM

I use the stretchy elastic thread you can buy from fabric stores. It holds even the smallest guides securely and no mess to clean up from the tape.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 10:24AM

I use small diameter tubing from a hobby/model shop sliced into tiny "rubber bands) to hold my guide in place. Makes it real easy to move them around and once the wrap is started, a nick with a razor blade and they fly off.

Works great and the tubing comes in various sizes, is cheap and you can cut up a years worth with a razor blade in no time

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2005 11:34AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 10:54AM

use the small 4" zip ties. they work like a charm and are easy to remove by cutting the tab with diagonal cutting pliers. wrap up to the tab then just cut them off.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.214.201.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 11:50AM

if you have a stylish little girl in the house, grab some of her little pony tail vinyl bands when she's not looking (they can be found at stores like target). i used this the other night although i have some guide foot adhesive on order.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 02:32PM

I have tried all methods and none work better for me than the flexcoat guide adhesive Gerry suggests.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Daniel Axelrod (206.169.103.---)
Date: January 27, 2005 02:34PM

I second the elastic thread. I'll wrap it about 3 times around the blank, then tie off at my desired level of tension. Then I slip the guide under 2 of these ties, slide one to the stem of the frame, and one near the front of the foot. It holds very securely, but you can move the guides around with ease. Once I start wrapping I can snip them off when they get in the way.

Posted by: Tyndall Alligood (---.saralee.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 03:56PM

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I will try these and see which ones work best for me.

Thanks again!

Posted by: John Dow (---.235.252.64.snet.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 10:24PM

Tyndall , next order you place , try a stick of the guide adheasive . It's only a couple of bucks and it's truely great stuff once you get used to it . I was skeptical at first , but I'm a believer now. Works wonders on the little wire guides that can be a pain even with the thinnest strip of tape, or tube . If you don't like it , you are only out a couple of $$. Have fun , John

Got Fish ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster