I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SS304 Guides
Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: January 27, 2005 03:21AM

The blurb on these guides advertises TiN deposition rings, and super light stainless steel guide frames. These are the ones used on the Pure Fishing rods (Berkley, Fenwick and co.). They also match the original rings on my rebuilt Qunatum Affinity light spin. They seem to be holding up well to braided line so far.

Question: What is their ring material? It's considerably thinner than most of the ceramics on offer. The frames also seem to be coated.

Reason I ask is I've seen them in the black frame/silver ring combination that appeals to me. How do these guides stand up to hard use? Are they worth it, or should I just stick to ceramics.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SS304 Guides
Posted by: James Gentz (198.111.237.---)
Date: January 27, 2005 08:54AM

i have used these guides with super lines, braided and the firewire/spiderwire. I use them on my king salmon rod for river fishing. These rings held up very well to the abuse these fish can dish out. I love them. I have not had a problem with any of them bending or getting any type of scratches in them. I also like them because they are extremely light due to the insert not being as heavy. Makes very light action rods easier to cast as you dont have as much flex and wobble in the rod on a cast. I dont know what their ring material is made of, however if you contact them, they might tell you. (Berkley)

I bought 3 sets of them to use on my future rods.

MI Builder

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 05:23PM

SS 304 is stainless steel. 304 is the grade of steel, the bolts you buy at the hardware store is probably 304 stainless and many times it is stamped so on the bolt's head. 300 series stainless is a marine grade stainless, 400 is food grade, etc. I not particularly impressed with them. Take a piece 8 lb mono, run it thru the guide and wrap it around both hands, now saw it back and forth and count how many times it takes to break or melt flat, it won't be many. Now try it with a hardloy Fuji, takes a lot longer doesn't it? If you try it with a Fuji SiC guide you may need to pack a lunch, it's going to be a while.
The original Berkeley guides were hard chromed on the ring, they may have changed that.
The Vickers hardness of 304 stainless is under 200, hard chrome 800-1000, aluminum oxide 1500, zirconia I believe I was told was 2000-2200, SiC 2400, diamond 6000.

Spencer

Date: January 28, 2005 02:50AM

Spencer, these guides look like TiN or TiCH on the ring. the ring is definitely a different, harder material than the frames.
I also use braided line almost exclusively now, but I did it with 6lb line. I don't find this a very realistic test, only an extreme situation one. By the time that amount of heat and friction gets to the line, you're either spooled, or you're seriously undergunned, lucky, and have had the fish on back and forth for hours. Either way, in a real fishing situation, you'll never move line that fast under that kind of pressure.

I think I'll order some and try them out for a while.

Date: January 31, 2005 02:36PM

And then I had a bit of an accident. On the river, I tripped, fell and poked my rod tip into the sand. Half expected to hear and see it snap clean off. No damage to the graphite, so cleaned up and continued fishing. The Fireline started fraying badly, though, and a nylon stocking inspection revealed a scratched ring in the tip top. They sure scratch easy. Cut the lot off, and will not be straying from ceramics ever again. Forced the scratched ring out and it actually looks like TiN on stainless steel for the insert. So a took a file to it, and it cut really easily. Even almost right through the ring it was still gold though. Won't be ordering those.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster