I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What guide spacing/guide type for ultra fast action flyrods?
Posted by: Adolfito Rosas (---.200-82-80.telecom.net.ar)
Date: January 26, 2005 07:34PM

I was thinking of what guides should I better use to build an ultra fast action flyblank.
Let´s take as an example TCR or the stiff XTR-3piece by winston. I´ve read here in the board about using hi frame stripping guides so the lines clears easily when casting long distances.
I would like to read your opinions from experience. Anyone !!!

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What guide spacing/guide type for ultra fast action flyrods?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 02:59AM

Adolfito--obviously there's lots of subjectivity that will come into play here, but I'm a believer in sf ceramics on everything 4wt and above. If you want something lighter, Hopkins & Holloway has a fantastic sf "Stand-Off" guide that is shaped much like the TLSG and effectively keeps the line off the blank. I like their black "Diamond-Like Coating" for its incredible slickness and good looks.

I can't really tell you why, but I'm still hung up on the U-frame dbl ft's over the V-frames. I'd hate to think it was "tradition", because that argument doesn't really fly very far in this context, ;) so I think I'll go with esthetics...I just like the looks of them better, and they shoot line beautifully when paired up as a stripping and taming guide. The hi-frame "V" style has lots of perceived benefits, though (you just might need the next size up in diameter of rod tube!). I'd go with a #16 as the stripper and #12 as the taming guide...maybe step down one size on both for a 4wt if it looks out of place, but I bet I could cast a bit farther/better (not to be understood as the same thing) with the larger set up.

If you haven't settled on the blank yet, be sure to check out Dan Craft's FT series and the all-new Rainshadow RX8+. Both are phenomenal.

All the best, and don't forget to tell us what you went with and how you like it!

Warmly,

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster