I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Good Method for putting guides on straight
Posted by: John Giovenco (---.foxcarenetwork.org)
Date: January 26, 2005 09:48AM

Hello Everyone!

I have been buidling a fair amount of rods over the last few years especially within the last 1 1/2 years.

I have two questions about rod building.

Question #1 What is a good method for putting guides on straight?

Question#2 What is a good way to add tension to the thread while wrapping guides by hand without a jig?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good Method for putting guides on straight
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: January 26, 2005 10:08AM

To get my guides straight I use the tip top as a reference. After I wrap each guide I turn the rod upside down and sight down the blank making sure there are equal amounts of the tip top sticking out from either side. I then move the guide(s) that I have wrapped until they also have equal amounts of their guide frame sticking out from either side of the blank. I find it easier to straighten my guides with the blank upside down versus looking down onto the guides right side up.

Jay

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2005 11:01AM

Greetings John,

As a non-powered wrapper with a simple V block type setup, I can offer my solution on Q # 2.

Its the force of gravity from a 1.5 oz. or so spring-clamp..

Thats all the thread tension that I've found to need.

In addition to the 'bobbins with tubes', I use this spring-clamp which has a wide, flat jaw-face which can be clamped, easily, on the bobbin thread during any time-out. Its hanging-weight is enough to prevent 'slack' which almost always leads to one of those 'evil' and ugly crossovers.
If you, truly, mean "by hand without a jig";
No.1, I am impressed (:>) considering various 'timeouts' that I find to be necessary. To steal the appropo term, my personal 'attention-span' ranges from 10 to 40 minutes. Then theres the need: to answer the phone, potty, tool out of my reach, etc. Hence, the spring-clamp is among my vital hand tools.

For Question #1, I find 'sighting' from the handle toward the tip through the rings on consecutively installed guides 'works fine'. Always, of course, in relation, to your intended plan for guide placement (whether 'spine' or backside or whatever). Also, I assume you start with the largest ring and progress to the tip. I believe the topics (are not new) underlying Q#1 can be found by forum searchs, here.

Tite wraps,
Bob

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: January 26, 2005 11:41AM

Straight guides ....

This is the process of rod building that takes the longest for me. I've tryed many methods and came up with an amalgamation of a few.

First, get the tip top placed. Then I get the guides placed on the rod w/ surgical tubing or blue-masking tape (if the tube's to thick - UL's). I've also used the rod glue to hold them in place in a bind, but prefer the surgical tubing.

Then I tape about 1/4" below the guide foot as a marker.

The I start w/ the biggest guide, checking about three time if it's in alignment. I try for close, but not perfect.

I then work up the rod, wraping each guide, always checking until finished.

Clean the wraps w/ tack cloth, CP if needed, then before placing on the drying motor and adding the epoxy, one more final adjustment and it's done.

The more rods I build, the quicker this process takes.

Tension - get one of those tension adjuster things from a board sponsor and it's a no-brainer. If for some reason you have an adversion to those, put the thread in a big book and add more books to the top of the thread-holding book until you get the tension you like - or just sit on the thread.

Posted by: Carmen De Franco (---.hns.aptalaska.net)
Date: January 26, 2005 01:28PM

I f ind that after the eyes are placed on the rod a secound rod blank thru the eyes makes a straight line. C.P.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2005 02:07PM

John ; I use the thimble with tube,I use a large one that holds 1OZ spools .easy to use!

I use the Mark 1 Mod 1 eyeball to line up my guides. it works better in my case

Posted by: James Gentz (198.111.237.---)
Date: January 26, 2005 03:29PM

For question #1 I use orthodontic rubber bands, sometimes I have to wrap them 3 to 4 times when I get toward the top. It allows me to adjust the guides before I start wrapping and I start from the bottom and work to the top as George mentioned. With this I only have to spend a couple of seconds moving the blank to start the next guide. I check to make sure I did not bump it and start wrapping if it is where I want it. After I get a couple of wraps up the foot, I double check to make sure it is straight by putting the guides to the top and looking down the rod (from above looking at the rod lengthwise) to see if there is the same amount of space on both sides of the guide opening centering the blank. If not I can move it slightly before finishing my wrap. I then check it after the wrap is complete by checking to make sure it is level and centered with the other guides. This was the hardest for me when I first started but now I can do all the wraps and centering on a 9 foot fly rod in just under an hour.

As for #2 I use a small bolt through my base with a felt bottom and add the tension with a bolt that has the finger levers (the name of them slipped my mind). The spring idea sounds great; I am going to make that modification to my wrapping station.

MI Builder

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 04:24PM

After gluing on the reel seat, everything needs to be in line with it. I cut off an old reel's foot and put that in the reel seat for a "gun sight". I wrap the rod, start adjusting the first guide using this sight and work towards the tip. Then I glue the tip top on and finish the rod.

Putter

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 06:16PM

My method is sort of combination. Like Putter, I use the reel seat to line up everything as I go. I found an old junked fly reel and use that as my sight. It work well because I'm looking through the 'tunnel' where the line should be. Before I put on the finish, I turn the over, guides on the underside, and check to make sure there's an equal amount on either side of the blank. This also allows me to more easily see if one is a bit cock-eyed on the blank. I never used to be able to adjust them after wrapping until I learned, right here on this site, that I was using way too much thread tension.

Gerry

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.158.57.220.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: January 26, 2005 07:25PM

I think Putter uses a 10x scope!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 07:54PM

Jim Rippe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Putter uses a 10x scope!

Hey, whatever works. LOL

Bill in WV

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 12:22AM

Lord, with these old eyes, I need all the help I can get!

Putter

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 03:23PM

John, I do the same as Putter. I dont put the tip on till last. I use a plastic clothes hanger, actually a small plastic clamp, although if you look at a plastic clothespin you can drill holes to run the thread through the jaws and go around the spring. I cut one leg short and drill a hole to mount it to my hand wrapper. Yes, I have to move it frequently and my wrapper is full of holes. when theres too many, I,ll make a new one. Oh, I mount the clothespin on the edge facing me, pointing up, so the thread comes off the spool below ( which is attached to my bench with a big woodscrew) up through the clothespin and onto the rod. Maybe a picture is worth a thousand words, I cant send one. I also hang a reel on the seat put the rod in the V's and let it find bottom center. Then I'll mark it, check it against my spine mark, take the reel off and start wrapping, before I epoxy, I use a cut off reel foot with a notch that I mount and look over it to the last guide before I mount the tip top. I like to put the tip on guides down on the V's cause I didnt once and my tip was all shifted and ugly. Gravity, doncha know. This seems like alot as I write it, but I dont do a bunch, and my guides come out pretty good. The plastic clothespin works well and is dirt cheap. (Like, free off my neighbors clothesline!) Respectfully, hope it made some sense, Levi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster