I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using model paint to initial a rod
Posted by: James Gentz (198.111.237.---)
Date: January 25, 2005 04:29PM

Is there any special coating you have to put over the model paint before using the rod sealer. I am using Flex coat finish and wanted to make sure that the epoxy did not cause the paint to run or smear. Any and all tips for this type of application are welcome. Also, if there is a specific paint that you may have used that you find works the best, please explain. Thanks

MI Builder

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using model paint to initial a rod
Posted by: Joe Barnett (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: January 25, 2005 05:09PM

James,
Someone else jump in if I am off track but I have just been masking off the area not to be sprayed, and giving it a quick, very light shot of krylon clear acrylic spray. Make sure you let things dry well. As a precaution use a very steady hand using lengthwise strokes over the inscription, trying not to actually touch the insciption area with your epoxy applicator. Just let it "float" the epoxy over the top.Have not had any problems using this proceedure yet.......

Date: January 25, 2005 05:16PM

So using a gloss enaml (clear coat) over the painted area will protect it from the flexcoat. What about discoloring in the light? Any problems with the clear coat changing color or reacting with the flex coat?

MI Builder

Date: January 25, 2005 05:33PM

James,
I have not noticed any problems at this point. After the epoxy is applied I can't see any difference between the blank (unsprayed area) and the inscription. I am basing my opinion on about a dozen inscriptions, I am sure there are others that have thousands under the belt.......

Date: January 25, 2005 05:36PM

James,
As an FYI, I have been using a satin gloss on matte blanks, not sure if this makes a difference or not....

Joe

Date: January 25, 2005 06:30PM

Joe,
I am using a matte blank, so use the satin gloss, 1coat or 2? Then top with the flex coat? (thin and brush up the rod as opposed to around the rod, and staying off of where the paint is so the flex coat can level itself) Just want to make sure i get this right the first time as i dont have the time to finish another one by thursday.

Thanks,

James

MI Builder

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: January 25, 2005 06:43PM

I use Artist's Spray Fixatif over inscriptions. Give it a light coat, let it dry a couple of hours and apply the finish right over it. No smears, no fuss, no worries about letting the brush touch the stuff. What I have is made by Grumbacher, but I think Krylon also makes it. And that's over a Gel pen which will smear badly without it.

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: January 25, 2005 07:10PM

I gave been using testors model paint for years to write on the butt section. I also use flex coat to cover it. There is no need to put a coating over the writing. Once the paint is dry it is not going anywhere.

David Banaka

Posted by: Joe Barnett (---.191.68.47.dul.mn.charter.com)
Date: January 25, 2005 07:29PM

Gerry is correct James,
I have found no need for a second coat, and when I say light coat, I mean a very light coat. All you are trying to do is just "fix" the inscription until you get the epoxy on top of it. It is more of a dusting enough to cover rather than a built up coat. I have not been thinning the flexcoat.

I don't think that we are trying to match a satin fixative to a matte blank, when you put the epoxy on, it quickly turns a matte blank into a gloss blank, even the areas with the Krylon. The satin was just what I had around the shop....

Yes Gerry,
I have tried paint and have been using the same proceedure with gel pens. I have been using a JELLITO brand with a .7 tip, smears like mad but easily comes off with denatured alcohol if you need to fix a goof.

As far as not touching the "fixative", I'm for the most part being overly cautious, but it seems to give me better results as a whole (on wraps also) than bearing down enough to "paint" the epoxy on..... Just the way I have been doing it....... works so far for me, but I'm sure there are many ways to skin this cat...

Posted by: Troy Ketela (65.164.31.---)
Date: January 26, 2005 10:29AM

I have used silver Testors model paint for about 3 dozen rods over 8 years, no sealant, just a couple layers of Flexcoat over it once the paint dries. I use a fine tip caligraphy nib to apply it, and get great results (fine lines, small letters).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster