I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dan Craft FT Switch Rod Update
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas3.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 25, 2005 03:24PM

Awhile back there was a post with quite q bit of discussion about the Dan Craft FT blanks being built as a swtch rod. I built a Dan Craft FT 10 wt 10 ft 4 pc as a switch rod and followed the advice of Bob Meiser and used only 8 guides. It will cast a Delta Spey WF 10/11 line 80 feet with no problem. Started out with a guide on each ferrule and used the static guide placement method for the others.

Butt Section: No guides
Section 2: 2
Section 3: 3
Section 4: 3

Guide Spacing: 5 5/8 19 29 1/4 39 1/2 49 59 /12 74 1/2 87 1/2

Ring Size: 6 6 8 8 8 10 16 20

Based on this rod it would seem to me that maybe it would be possible to reduce the number of guides on other weight fly rods. I just received a FT 3 wt 10 ft 4 pc from Dan today and plan to test cast it with less guides before final wrapping and finishing. BTW it won't be a switch rod.

The grip is a stained full wells, A8 reel seat hardware with a Redwood insert and a 3 1/2" Redwood butt.

Would like to hear from some others who have done something similar with the FT.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2005 12:36PM by Bob Crook.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Craft FT Switch Rod Update
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2005 09:17PM

What's a switch rod? I've heard of spey, but not switch.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.an2.sea18.da.uu.net)
Date: January 25, 2005 09:39PM

A switch rod is fly rod that can be cast one handed as a regular fly rod or used two handed as a spey rod. It has a butt that is usally shorter than that on a spey only rod.

Posted by: Joe Rivera (---.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 25, 2005 10:40PM

Thanks for the Info on the FT switch rod Bob. I'm in thr process of gathering up the parts for one as well. Mine will be
a 10' 7wt. I would like to use a Nickle Silver reel seat with a cocobola reel insert like the one on the R.B. Meiser site
located on Dave Veith's Photo's page. Does anyone know what type of reel seat that is and will a cocobola insert
stand up to 10 or so trips to the River a year?

Thanks
Joe

Posted by: Jeff Zack (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2005 06:56PM

I have a Meiser clone switcher based on the 7wt FT. Michigan in too frozen to have tried it as a fly rod yet but I have had it out as a steelhead rod using bait and spin reel. Don't think the blank was designed to switch that far. And for this use the tip is a bit fast. But it is wonderfully light in the hand and handles a hooked fish masterfully. Ohhh Spring where art thou. I am going to throw streamers the size of kittens this year.

Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster