I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recoil guides on spinning and casting rods
Posted by: Mike Applebee (---.webcelerate.com)
Date: January 24, 2005 10:15PM

Are recoil guides as good as alconite or Sic guides? I am building an SCV and want it to be as light as possible. I saw the new rods that Cabelas makes with Recoil guides and it peaked my curiosity. I was just wondering what the advantages and disadvantages were with these guides compared to regular guides. I know they are lighter, but will they wear? How does a rod cast with them? Are the Recoil tiptops as good as an alconite top? And finally, do any of the sponsors sell them besides REC components-their website is giving me fits. Sorry about all the questions, but I can't find much info on these guides for spinning and casting rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recoil guides on spinning and casting rods
Posted by: KEITH BURNETTE (---.roa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2005 06:23AM

I PERSONALLY THINK THEY ARE A MARKETING PLOY BY A COUPLE OF ROD COMPANIES TO MAKE SOMETHING NEW AND DIFFERENT. I HAVE CUSTOMERS ASKING ABOUT THEM BUT SO FAR I HAVE NOT USED THEM. AT THIS POINT I THINK ALCONITE IS A BETTER CHOICE AND COSTS ABOUT ONE THIRD AS MUCH. IF THE ROD COMPANIES ARE SUCESSFULL AT PUSHING THESE GUIDES, CUSTOM BUILDERS WILL HAVE TO USE THEM TO KEEP THE CUSTOMER SATISFIED. IN MY OPINION USING RECOIL GUIDES ON A BASS ROD IS LIKE USING SNAKE GUIDES ON A FLY ROD. IF THE CUSTOMER WANTS IT YOU DO IT EVEN KNOWING THAT ALCONITE OR SIC'S ARE BETTER PERFORMING GUIDES.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.5.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 25, 2005 09:02AM

Mike--click SEARCH on the top and put in recoil guides - lots of info
www.willierods.com

Posted by: Rich Gassman (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2005 06:12PM

Hi, I guess I wanted to through in my two sense about recoil guides. I think they are a great guide, it really depends on what type rod. I have built a six foot ultra-lite rod for bass and pike, and they were just what I wanted. They are a lot harder to line up new concept wise, but when you figure out the guide spacing and get the alignment right, they work as well as any alconite and very close to sic,s. I heavily used my ultra-lite rod last summer, numerous pike seven to twelve pounds and countless bass, and no sign of where on the guides at all. I only use mono line. I think the reason some people do not like them is they are difficult to align, or they used them for the wrong application or have not used them. I am going to build myself a seven foot six next, and I know I will like it. The guides cast fine to me, I use four and six pound and when a whopper hits my tiny trap I set the hook and put the real in free spin to fight the fish. I had more fish and more fun with that lite small rod last year than any of my larger rods that have sic guides. My two sense, have a good day, Rich.

Posted by: David Gonder (---.bmts.com)
Date: January 25, 2005 07:04PM

I'll wade in on this as well. I've used the single foot loops extensively on fly rods and feel they are superior to other wire guides for a number of reasons, mainly lightness, durability (basically unbreakable) and they exert the least dampening effect on rod action of ANY style of guide due to their lightness and flexibility. Yes, they are a bit harder to line up due to their flexibility but I think this is outweighed by their other attributes.

I have used their single foot spinning guides on steelhead float rods where lightness is also key to rod action. They performed admirably and have not caused any perceptible change in fish fighting ability or inthe hook set. It is a bit disconcerting to see the guides flatten against the blank when the rod is broken down but that doesn't seem to matter. In a nut shelll I'm a fan. The last time i checked they were still comparable to any of the other premium guides and were cheaper than titanium framed guides. Just one mans opinion.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.att.net)
Date: January 26, 2005 10:21PM

Any wire guide is much softer than ceramic guides, as long as you are talking about good quality Aluminum Oxide through SIC. The cheap ceramic guides you find on many Commercial rods vary. I prefer Alconite for durability, light weight and cost. Yes, I know Recoils and other single foot snakes are lighter, but I still like Alconite. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster