I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spine on Heavy Flyrod
Posted by: Phil Brna (164.159.156.---)
Date: January 24, 2005 06:30PM

I am building a flyrod from a blank I have had sitting around for a few years. It is an original Loomis IMX, 9 foot, 11/12 weight mega. I thought I might use it for tarpon or maybe king salmon in one of our large Alaskan rivers. I have built many fly rods over the years but all lighter weight. I looked in Dale Clemons book and he discusses the pros and cons of putting the guides on the high or low side of the spine for a heavy flyrod such as this. without having the book in front of me at the moment, one way allows better casting but the other way allows better lifting of heavy fish. What are the latest thoughts on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spine on Heavy Flyrod
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2005 07:18PM

Neither. Dale was offbase on this. If you need more casting power then you need to move to a 12/13 weight blank. If you need more power for fish lifting you also need a more powerful blank.

Two problems with Dale's opinion. What builders refer to as the hard and soft sides are not 180 degrees apart. So the high and low side as you call them are not opposite each other. They might be fairly close sometimes but hardly ever perfectly opposite. Also the exact difference in power will be so slight that flipping the blank one way or the other to try and gain more power or casting performance just isn't going to add up to a hill of beans. If you rate the blank for stiffest and softest axis on the CCS scale you won't find more than a .2 difference. It's just not worth worrying about.

I can tell you how I would do a blank that heavy and I know it works. Sight down the blank and find the natural curve. Put the guides along the belly of the blank and let it go at that. You'll love it.

Posted by: John Boatwright (38.113.131.---)
Date: January 25, 2005 10:17AM

Mike, I'm a hobby builder, and have four or five rods under my belt. I'm going to be building a 12 wt. soon, and I read with interest your thoughts on spines. Would you mind expanding a little bit your comments on (a) the natural curve of the blank and (b) the belly of the blank? What I read (a) to mean is that a blank will have some existing curvature, due to manufacturing processes, ie., it won't be perfectly straight. What I read (b) to mean is that the "inside" of that curve is the belly you're referring to. Am I reading these correctly? I appreciate any insight you can offer.

Regards,

John Boatwright

Posted by: Phil Brna (164.159.156.---)
Date: January 26, 2005 12:01PM

Mike, thanks for the input!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster