I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule wrap
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: January 24, 2005 01:17PM

How wide should a ferrule wrap be? I'm speaking of the thread wraps on the female part of the blank. I write that to make sure I'm explaining the right part of the blank. Thanks, Bruce

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule wrap
Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.townisp.com)
Date: January 24, 2005 01:35PM

A ferrule wrap should be at least 1/8" longer than how far the male end goes into the female end when fully assembled. Put the rod together snugly then make a mark with tape on the male section where the seam is.

Now pull the male end out and place it next to the female end with the tape as a marker for how deep that section inserts into the other. Your wrap should go at least 1/8" further up the blank than where the male section ends. This is the way my grandfather taught me and I haven't had any problems yet.

I should mention however that I usually go about 1/4" further up with the wrap instead of just 1/8" because it makes me feel safer to do it that way.

~Jackie

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: January 24, 2005 03:13PM

Wow...

That's a lot further than any wraps I've ever done.

I think that (on most blanks) wraps that go up a half-inch are more than sufficient. Somebody wrote me once about making them longer than the female ferrule is wide. I forget by how much though.

Some make ends extend into the blank for aconsiderable distance....No way you need to wrap all that way up.

Keith

Posted by: Kenny Saums (204.151.5.---)
Date: January 24, 2005 03:21PM

2 times the od of the female end.

Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.townisp.com)
Date: January 24, 2005 03:30PM

Guess I'll pass that info. on to my Gramp.

~Jackie

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 24, 2005 04:00PM

If the blank is a fairly thin light and thin walled blank such as the Dan Craft series V you need to make your wrap as you are describing it otherwise twice the length of the OD normally suffices.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 24, 2005 04:09PM

If you can put a guide on each ferrule you kill two birds with one stone, guide and ferrule wrap.

Posted by: James Gentz (198.111.237.---)
Date: January 24, 2005 05:33PM

I agree with Kenny. I use a minimum of 1.5 times the ID of the female connector but 2 times the ID is sufficient. If I have a guide close enough to it, I will continue the wrap all the way up to the guide. By going a longer distance, you add weight to the rod. So i will use the smallest amount of wrap at the connection point to make sure that is strong enough. If you want extra security when wrapping up to a guide, put a second wrap over the first wrap at the ferrule to a length of 1.5 to 2 times the ID of the female receptacle.

MI Builder

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 25, 2005 07:37AM

Read a great string of comments on this subject in a recent Thread by Peter Mulbjerg. In fact, all the Replies were excellent and merit careful consideration. Tom Kirkman, Ken Preston, Emory Harry, Todd Vivian (of LamiGlas) and myself (Cliff Hall) all had something important to say (even if we didn't all agree). I advocate a wrap around the female tunnel as long as the male's insertion + one blank diameter. Read the full Reply if you want to hear the physics behind my reasoning. Below is an excerpt from that Thread located at:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Re: Lamiglas fiberglass and ferrules Cliff Hall Dec. 17, 2004
[http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,125819,125839#msg-125839]
Peter - whatever you do, do not forget to thread-wrap the uter barrel of both the female end AND the male end (with he spigot) of the ferrule before you start flexing the blank when joined. In fact, there is no reason not to wrap both these barrels before you even find the blank's spine. It is, of course, uncommon for an un-wrapped ferrule to fail under the moderate stressing of static-deflection and test-casting. But you don't want to discover thru carelessness just how common it can be, either ! -Cliff Hall-

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 25, 2005 08:15AM

Just yesterday the need to wrap a ferrule before flexing, and how wide to wrap a ferrule, came up with a builder who had 2 blank failures while flexing UNWRAPPED ferrules, before the rod-building was complete. Link and excerpt follow. [www.rodbuilding.org]
Was this a case of bad blanks, ... or a long lucky streak that just ran out? -Cliff Hall-

2. Testing Blanks... Gene Maxson 01/24/05 10:07AM
[http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,132179,132179#msg-132179]
... Now, I know your supposed to wrap the ferrule first, but in 50 or so blanks I've done [without first wrapping the ferrule], I've never had one break. That is, until Friday. I put the first blank together; gave it a slight bend, and "snap" - broken ferrule. Hmmm. I put the next blank of same make, wt, length, etc., together and again - almost immediately - "snap"!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster