I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wrapping: towards or away
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 23, 2005 01:19PM

Just thinking about a post I read about power wrappers. It mentioned the direction of spin being towards or away on different models. On my unpowered hand wrapper, I have the thread in front of me and I spin the rod away from me. Anyone prefer one way or the other, and why? Its cold and snowy and I'm waiting for parts, just thought I'd ask. Respectfully, Levi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wrapping: towards or away
Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: January 23, 2005 01:49PM

Levi,
On my PacBay Rodsmith the top turns away from me, thats the way I taught myself so it was natural for me when I started using a power wrapper.
Noel

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 23, 2005 02:52PM

Whichever way the blank / motor spins, the preference is that you spin the rod blank or position yourself & the thread or point the rod tip to the left or right SO THAT you can WATCH THE THREAD as is it is wound onto the rod blank or guide. That should help keep the gap between adjacent threads toward zero, and allow you to not let threads wind on top of each other. It seems most people find watching the thread wind onto the the blank while LOOKING DOWN ONTO THE BLANK to be the easiest and least fatiguing. Whatever terminology you use to describe your relative position and direction, that's the essence of the goal for most builders.

If you're always wrapping a guide from off the toes, up the hill, toward the heel & legs, then that's the only other direction that matters. From the blank toward the ring, whether the guide is single-foot or double-foot. Regardless of which foot is being wrapped on a double-footed guide. Always wrap a guide from the blank toward the ring. Trim wraps would usually be wrapped away from the ring; but whatever is easier for your set-up. Even if guides are mounted "backwards", work from the blank toward the guide ring. Underwraps should be done from the butt end toward the rod tip, and packed / burnished TOWARD THE BUTT. This is because of the rod's taper. Packing the threads toward the rod tip would loosen them.

And most people that do a decorative butt wrap would start their underwrap and / or pattern at, or on, the fore-grip side. Then move toward the rod-tip. ... Whatever works, Levi. It's the "field imperative". -Cliff Hall-

Posted by: John Meyer (---.balt.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 02:52PM

I guess its just what you get used to. My first lathe was a clemens and it turned toward me. I used a book for tention. I sold that lathe a long time ago(mistake), now I have a rodsmith. It turns away from me. I'm just getting used to it but its weird? A nice feature would be a switch to toggle the direction. That would give you a reverse feature that would be nice to have...

Posted by: Pat Ryan (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 23, 2005 07:37PM

Thank you Cliff Hall. I have my first rod laid out and started to practice wraps today. I was getting very fustrated when packing the thread because they would get loose on me. I was going to post a question about it until I read your post. It is so simple, I don't know how I missed it. Packing your wraps toward the butt of the blank is one of the little tips rookies like me need to hear.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 23, 2005 09:20PM

You're very welcome, Pat Ryan. And thanks for letting me know how the details of my long-winded Reply helped. Sometimes I feel like I border on pedantic and over-kill. But I know how all the parts of a problem have to be discussed in order to shed light on our options & choices in any given situation. Those details make the difference. Best Wishes, Pat. -Cliff Hall-

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2005 11:31PM

Your alright, Cliff. along the same lines, is there a reason you cant just turn a lathe around? Guess youd have to switch your thread carriage thingy around, too. I just made a hand wrapper, and wrapped a whole rod in a few hours, and although I am now having second thoughts on my thread choice, I'm about as happy as can be. Trips me out though, how my eyes slowly cross, and I gotta step back and look away for a minute. Now that I have so much more control (versus winding the thread around the rod by hand) I can see all sorts of ways to incorporate other threads and patterns, although I foresee alot of thread hanging around, I think I can see how some people weave, which I have only heard about on this board. I,m gonna make a few more rods, then maybe take the Guilds cert. test, then start on the big project. Man its gonna be tough, and I want it to be great. I read a post from a guy who does like 120 poles a week so he said, for a manufacturer. Also gotta be tough, hes probably got power though. Cliff , long winded : no way, I read 700-800 page books in hours. Pedantic: maybe. LOL!!! Respectfully, Levi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster