I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Paint for epoxy marbilizing
Posted by: Tommy Lindsay (---.249.225.144.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 07:45AM

I was recently given a bunch (like 83 bottles worth) of acrylic paints. Can these paints be used with the epoxy ?

Also, I saw a couple of rods on the beach were they had tied 100 lb test in a spiral wrap up and down the butt, then put shrink wrap over that.

I was wondering if you could do the same with marble-epoxy ?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Paint for epoxy marbilizing
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.204.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 08:43AM

Can't see why not, just may be a little slick? There is also colored twine in Home Depot may do the same

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 08:53AM

I've tried to mix the water base acrylic's with epoxy-got a gummie mess. Did not try to use it. If they are all the same type you might want to try one of them and see what you get. I've gotten good results with the TAP's and Testor's. I like the TAP's best.

Ed

Posted by: JOHN BARNES (---.rconnect.com)
Date: January 23, 2005 05:23PM

I just tried marbilizing my first blank yesterday and it turned out well. I went
to my local hardware store and bought three bottles of testors paints. I
got a gold, silver, and a dark blue. I mixed up a batch of classic coat and put a
small amount of the silver and gold in separate containers and left the most
in a container and added a couple of drops of color in them. I coated the rod
with the blue and waited a few minuted and then put small splotches of the
gold and silver randoming around the bland and swirled the colors with a
paper clip. Rotate the rod for a couple hours and you can even stand the rod
on end for a short period and let the colors kind of run together. good luck

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 23, 2005 06:06PM

My experiments with the water based acrylics were the same as Ed's. Just didn't work for me at all.
I use mostly Testor's and love it. Pour the solvent off of the enamels (leave a bit in so it doesn't dry out and stir it up each time before using).

I also use liquid paint pigments from the local hardware store. Purple and blue are much better here than Testor's; they start out almost a black color then give brilliant color when marbled with Testor's white.

For a gold color, try "Liquid Leaf", much better than Testor's. WalMart-craft department and elsewhere in other local craft stores (aka "Gold Leaf").

Haven't seen the need to order TAP yet; would like to try their green, though...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 08:42PM

Putter, I've used the TAP's green with the ivory and was very pleased. If I can find a small bottle I'll give you some at Charlotte. I got more than I'll ever use. If you bring an empty Testors bottle I can put some in it for you. Thank's for the info on the gold at Walmat. I want to know how you did that reel you marbled in the photo section shown a few weeks ago.

Ed

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 23, 2005 09:24PM

I'll bring that MT with and the reel you're discussing along with one other. I've done two sample marbles and will do several more in the upcoming weeks along with doing some at the demonstration with Mike. I'll see you there, Ed!!

Putter

Posted by: Gerald Pitpit (---.qualcomm.com)
Date: January 26, 2005 04:33PM

Hi,
I am new to the site and relatively new to rod building (only 3 fly rods). I have been admiring the photos of the all the rods but in particular I am interested in trying marbling. Can you guys please direct me to articles and or post that describe the process, materials needed (epoxy, type of pigments, etc) and technique. I am also interested in sources for water transfer or other types of decals for identifying rod specs, names, etc.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning from all you crafts "persons" out there.

Pit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster