I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shadows
Posted by: Henry Dzielak (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2005 03:39PM

Have been a long time lurker in this forum. Actually have gotten alot of very very good information from the posters here. Not new to rod building but have recently upgraded to a power wrapper. But here is my problem maybe someone could help solve. I'm having trouble with shadows showing up in my guide wraps. This has never happened before in any of the rods I have built. I'm using Aqua #638 Gudebrod reglar nylon thread. When I apply the Flex Coat CP and it dries it had black shadows in it. The shadows show up as blotches as well as line around the wrap. I have gone so far as to strip the guides off and redo with fresh everything (twice!!!!). Still shadows and not always in the some spot. Thread are packed tight and burnished. No gaps etc. Blank is a gloss clear Amteck. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shadows
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 22, 2005 04:10PM

It sounds like you may have some type of contamination , like oil on your guides or blank. I recommend you wash your guides and blank with a mixture of denatured alcohol and a tad of liquid soap.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: January 22, 2005 04:38PM

Have done all of that. Scrubbed up like a Surgeon. Minimized handling the thread etc. I have just finished trying something a little different. Right after I applied the CP, I used a dryer to QUICKLY dry the wrap. Seems to have cut down on some of the shadow but the thread is not really returning to it origional color.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2005 05:16PM

No, it's not contamination (contamination is hardly ever to blame for rod building woes). You're not packing your thread together tight enough.

Make two test wraps, one just as you're doing now and another where you stop on each wind or two and actually use a thumbnail to pack those threads together. Now apply CP to both and notice the diffence. We had photos in RodMaker of what both look like when coated. When the wraps don't solidly press up against each other, paricularly on dark blanks with light thread, you're seeing the minute gaps between the threads and in bunches they form dark blotches and streaks.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 22, 2005 06:21PM

I agree with Tom. on packing and burnishing. I forgot to mention earlier . is to repack and gently burnish when the thread is still damp with C/P
Good Wraps Bob

Date: January 22, 2005 08:58PM

Thanks Guys! Home Run!!! I thought I was packing tight, but I guess not. As I was power wrapping I would use the tip of the burnishing tool to tighten the thread. Did a test strip on an old piece of blank as Tom said. Both wraps looked good. But the wrap where I packed the !x!x! out of it was right on the money!!!! with no shadows or lines. Thanks again

Henry

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 09:01PM

Ain't this site great!!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 10:21PM

I once shared your plight. Same problem and once I learned better, same fix. Color Preserver gets a bad rap (no pun intended) and most problems we associate with it are usually the fault of the person doing the wrapping.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster