I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

eva/rubber balls?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 01:07PM

This is just a shot in the dark, but can anyone help me find the following : Eva or rubber half spheres, sortof like a winding check, only really big. I got mudhole and Janns catalogs, no product similar, the effect I'm looking for is like the fly rod fighting butts on page 73 of mudholes catalog. Cork with an eva cap, only to the inside cause I'm making a split handle spinning rod, and I'm trying for a nice transition from the cork to the rod blank, not too squared off, I do not have a rod lathe that will work eva and cork, I have a drill setup that will grab the blank, but If I have to buy an eva ring then glue it on and shape it, I cant make it work with the drill, cause the cork part will already be glued on and AAARGH! I did find some rubber gaskets for toilets that were the perfect size and shape, but when I put it all together I found that the holes in the gaskets/washers were off center, and looked like @#$%&, not conforming to the line of the cork, I will try grinding the washer holes to center, but I'd really like something better. So... Any Ideas will not be publicly scoffed at. Thanks, Levi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: eva/rubber balls?
Posted by: jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 10:27PM

Can't realy picture what your doing can you cut the cork off of these? [shop.mudhole.com]

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 10:46PM

Don't they make round cork bobbers anymore HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: January 22, 2005 11:16PM

William, I think you missunderstood... like, alot. Jay, I suppose I could cut the cork off those and somehow remove it from the aluminum post it is glued to, but I was hoping for something easier. Picture a half sphere, with a hole dead center, tapered to fit the blank. Or not tapered, I can ream it to whatever I want. I did end up grinding what i had, and making it work. I was just hoping for something better. William, from your post, I just gotta say I'm a little worried for you. You OK man? Respectfully and as always, Levi

Posted by: jay dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 11:56PM

Levi, the one I posted on, does not have an aluminum post inside it is just cork and rubber, I ordered 6 of them and am looking at one right now. The rubber is solid not hollow on the inside, it's like 1/3 of a solid rubber ball.

Date: January 23, 2005 12:12AM

Jay, I dont see them in the paper catalog, I'll look on the website. Thanks for helping out, that sounds like what I want, hope they are cheap since I'm gonna hack em up, I need (thinking..................) 6 of them. Really, not cause you have 6. Weird. Anyway, William I said I wouldnt publicly scoff any responses and I guess I did. Sorry, bro. LOL Thanks guys, Respectfully, Levi

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 23, 2005 02:10AM

I was just thinking that I saw somewhere cork bobbers that were round. You could remove the clip and cut them in half then drill or ream your hole.

Bill in WV

Date: January 23, 2005 10:52AM

That would work, Bill, but I dont want the cork. I want the eva, already formed. I could make my life simpler by buying a nice chuck from mudhole. Thanks for the replies, Respectfully Levi

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 11:29AM

All you need is an EVA butt cap? Buy a regular Fuji BRC 19 or 22, get a set of Calipers, find the OD of the end of the cork, find that OD on teh BRC cap. Put a few layers of tape around the BRC and carefully slice it iwith an exacto knife or regular razor blade.THat should give you exactly what you want, no?

Date: January 23, 2005 01:07PM

Mr. Vivona, What the heck is a BRC? Where do I get one , specifically. Are you talking about cutting the end off a grip? I really think I need to buy a chuck, I have a drill setup, then I could make whatever I want. Its hard to sand stuff round without spinning it. Anyhoo, I wont be buying anything for a little while, I got my wife mad this morning, and I'm not gonna add fuel to the fire. Irish girls have tempers, I think she could take me. I'll look around in my catalogs for a BRC. Thanks, Levi

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 01:40PM

Fuji BRC butt cap, size 19 or 22.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 24, 2005 01:05AM

Maybe there's something in her kitchen you could wreck to make it out of, Levi. That'd fuel that red hair up!!

Date: January 24, 2005 09:51PM

No way!!! I assaulted 2 stainless bowls to make a birdfeeder, I was gonna replace em, just didnt feel like running to the store, and she came unhinged! Even that didnt come close to when my wife borrowed her mothers stepladder which had apparently been in the family for generations (from the look of it, it came on a wooden ship) and I decided it was dangerous and burnt it. Whoa! Thought I was savin a life, almost cost me my own! LOL!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster