I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank recommendations
Posted by: Aaron Banks (---.cue.scs.wsu.edu)
Date: January 21, 2005 02:18PM

I know everyone has a favorite rod (blank). I'm curious what 3 weight blanks people have enjoyed using fishing small trout streams, I fish top and bottom, and like to be very accurate, so control would be a major plus. I built a 3 weight and it works good enough, I then made two more rods, one of which was a sage for my dad and it turned out so spectacular my 3 weight just doesn't cut it. So, I plan on making a new one and this time I'm going to give it all the attention as my dad's, plus my skills are better than my first one. Any suggestions. Thanks everyone.

Aaron Banks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank recommendations
Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 21, 2005 03:07PM

imo, Lamiglass Appalachian Traveler 7' or 7' 6" 3pc. Light, fast, but not too fast, crisp.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 21, 2005 04:00PM

I would recommend looking at Dan Craft's Signature III blanks. I have a 8 ft - 2 wt that I built last winter and fished a lot this past summer. It has a medium fast action and easily casts a dry or nymph 30 to 40 feet with a delicate presentation, great foe small streams. You can get the Signature III blanks from 1 wt to 8 wt.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.los-angeles-54-55rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 21, 2005 04:30PM

i second the motion on the dan craft. i have the same rod and it is really sweet. role casts a
dual taper two very nicely and i throw small muddlers and nymphs as well.

Posted by: Tony Pevec (---.cdm.com)
Date: January 21, 2005 05:52PM

I would also recommend the Lamiglas Appilacian Traveler. I fish the 7'-6" 4wt. and have been extremely please with it's ability to cast small dries and streamers and it's sensitivity when nymphing and fighting fish. Also, have had great experience with their customer service.

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.spfdmo.swbell.net)
Date: January 21, 2005 06:53PM

In my limited experience I absolutely love the hook & hackle IM6 blanks including the one in that size/wt. I have found them absolutely top quality - reasonably light but with a nice medium-fast action. Plus they are reasonably priced and have a lifetime warranty.
Greg

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: January 21, 2005 08:15PM

I specificly built a Berkheimer 6'9" 3wt 2pc that is every thing and more for fishing the brookies and stocked trout in small rivers up here in the New England area. Delicate presentation when needed for dries , and enough power to send a small team of nymphs to the target . A good FISHING rod. John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: January 25, 2005 04:24AM

My 3pc 7ft6 3wt Diamondback Classic Trout is so smooth and so gorgeous that it's hard to put down sometimes,LOL.If you've never cast this rod then I HIGHLY recommend it.It's also one of the most beautiful finishes I've ever seen on a rod.

I built it with a Bellinger ULSB nickel silver seat with amboyna burl insert(a truly spectacular piece as well),matched it with a 6 1/2" flor western grip I turned down,and Snake Brand chrome snakes for the cosmetic appeal,then did the wraps in Gudebrod Rust with no CP to match the amboyna wood and trimmed each wrap with 2 single wraps of metallic copper.

If I was looking to build a new 3wt I would definitely consider the Lamiglas Appalachian based on the amount of positive reviews I've read here since it's intro.Either that or maybe pick up one of the Lami honey yellow fiberglass blanks if looking for a slower option.The SIG III is probably really sweet too(all Dan's blanks are) and any of the high end medium to medium fast action Sage,Scott(love my 4wt G),Winston rods will obviously make for a wonderful 3wt,just more $$$.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster