I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Info needed on the Sage TXL rods/blanks
Posted by: Aaron Laing (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 21, 2005 01:11PM

I thought I'd bring this query to the source, rather than floating it on a bunch of other forums.

I'm looking to pick up a medium to medium-fast action 0 wt rod, and my local shop went out to try and find a nice expensive one for me LOL! The model they came up with is the Sage TXL 0710. I own or have owned several Sage rods (VPS-Light, DS2, RPL+, LE, 9140 Spey, SP) from 3-9 wt, and prefer the slower end of the scale. I'm shooting for a fairly high end rod that I won't feel the need to replace in 5 years.

I was wondering what people think of the new TXL line up--the good, the bad, and the ugly. Any real quirks I should know about? Any alternate (yet relatively easy to obtain) rod/blank suggestions. I might be up for going down the custom route if necessary, but I do like the convenience of the warranty (having had to send in a couple of rods for work already).

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,

Aaron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Info needed on the Sage TXL rods/blanks
Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2005 01:29PM

Dan Craft Sig III blanks.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: January 21, 2005 04:05PM

Aaron. I played with a 0 and 00 TXL at my local shop and decided I could build a better rod on a Dan Craft blank or even a TXL blank. IMO the biggest flaw is the truncated grip. Sage should have gone with a longer taper Orvis style. Sage also didn't put guides on the ferrules, a pet peeve of mine. The rod sports a locking reel seat, which kicked the rod weight up. They did use a clear wrap over a metallic painted blank which does look good. The Sig III blank is at least as good at half the price.

Posted by: Aaron Laing (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 27, 2005 11:46AM

I just wanted to thank you both for the help. I think I might look into having a rod built, or perhaps pick up the SLT 0 wt on clearance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster