I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pike Rod
Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.townisp.com)
Date: January 20, 2005 11:59AM

I have a cabin on a lake in northern VT. My lake has some huge pike in it, but we rarely see them. We typically catch small or medium size pike. I'd love to put together an inexpensive pike rod to leave up there.

I don't want to spend a ton on it in case someone else breaks it. I have a big family and let them all use the place and the tackle up there is community gear. Nothing belongs to anyone in particular. I'd like to spend under $50 on components, but want a decent rod.

Last time I caught a pike up there I was using a $3.50 walmart special kids spincast rod and was just playing around with the kids not really expecting to catch anything. The thing went under the boat and nearly took me and the rod with it before the line broke. That's when I decided I need to get a more specialized rod.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jackie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pike Rod
Posted by: James Gentz (198.111.237.---)
Date: January 20, 2005 05:09PM

A

MI Builder

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2005 08:48AM by James Gentz.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 20, 2005 08:23PM

Jackie,
I grew up fishing for pike in MN. More than any other freshwater fish, I don't think it's possible to build a specialty pike rod. I've caught 1 lb. hammer handles on 8 inch long daredevils on musky rods and 25 lb torpedos on 1/2 inch swedish pimples using ultralight bluegill rigs, and they both hit with equal force.

As you most likely know, sensitivity isn't an issue with pike. They aren't exactly subtle. I'd go with something strong but still fun. There are a lot of S and E glass blanks for little cash as well as some good graphites. Anything with around a 15 lb line rating should cover just about any pike. Check some sales. Some hialoys, basic reel seat and your choice of EVA or cork, and you can make an excellent all around pike rod for 50 bucks, especially if it's a "camp rod". Just give it some oomph in case you get one of the big bruisers!

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (24.53.166.---)
Date: January 21, 2005 07:53AM

MudHole has some Rainshadow musky blanks on clearance for about $35. Great rods for the price. I haven't built mine yet......still waiting for some cork.

Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.townisp.com)
Date: January 21, 2005 10:01AM

Thanks for the input! I'll see if Neal's has anything for closeouts on musky or hefty Eglass rods (I think they do) and see if maybe I can't put together a couple of rods for the $50.

~Jackie

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 24, 2005 08:04PM

Please be advised that those are NOT Rainshadow Blanks. Mudhole is NOT an Authorized distributor of the Rainshadow/Forecast product line.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast
877-875-2381
wbatson@olypen.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster