I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wood turning on a grizzly lathe
Posted by: John Kepka (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: January 20, 2005 10:52AM

Does anyone on the list successfully turn wood not just handles on the grizzly hobby lathe? I am looking to get a lathe set up but I would like to keep the cost reasonable. Jet Mini or Pennstate by the time I add chucks etc seems like a lot just to try it.
Thanks
john kepka

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wood turning on a grizzly lathe
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: January 20, 2005 11:31AM

I don't have the grizzly hobby lathe. I don't think it would be a good choice to turn wood. I think an experieced turner coluld do good work on it, but I think the limitations of the tool would inhibit learning and fun for a beginner. To lean, you really need a machine that is easy to operate and has enough power to actually make the basic cuts, rather than just scraping a little off to get a shape.

I think you would be better oft to spend a little more money up front and get a basic midi lathe. You can turn between centers and bowls with just what comes with the lathe. you can add the chucks later as you need them. Worse comes to worse and you hate it, then just sell it.

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: January 20, 2005 12:12PM

John I have a jet mini, 6 speed , I love it, I can get the extension bed right here in my area from Acme electric, I can get all the repairs if needed here locally. It has very good name recognition and its reputation speaks for itself. I Got it from Penn State when they were selling them for 199.00 plus freight, I think that they sell for about 249.00 now and still a good bargain. I use mine for turning cork handles, hosels, trim rings, and just about anything. I also have a speedway metal lathe, 7x12 that I use for turning stabilized wood for the reel seat inserts, I can also work steel parts with it also, just a universal machine. I estimate that I have less than 600.00 in both machines and feel that they are well worth it. they always have resale value. also both of the lathes weight is less than 100 pounds, each so they are very mobile. Once you have the lathe you won't want to part with it. P.S Maybe you want to dabble with making ink pens. The lathe is a perfect match. Also the speedway and jet use morse # 2 taper arbors so you only need one set of live centers, and drill chucks. Go for it.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 20, 2005 01:30PM

John,

You are going to have $80 tied up in the drill and lathe and you can get a pretty good Turncrafter Pro from Penn State for $159 (plus shipping) and the extension bed, if you want one is only $20) and have a pretty decent lathe. You can get buy without chucks to start, It comes with headstock and live center tail stock. All you need to get started is tools (which you have to buy for the Grizzley)
[www.pennstateind.com]

They also have a 3-jaw chuck for $39 and a drill chuck for $20 when you're ready.
The best investment that you can make would be Andy Dear's DVD on lathes/rodbuilding. Great!!
A lot of builders on this board use this lathe. I love mine (I;ll love it even more when I get past the sawdust/chip creating stage)!!

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2005 01:32PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: January 20, 2005 02:20PM

The lathe is currently out of stock according to the website. The chucks i saw there were $59 and $36 respectively for a 2Mt. I have Andy's DVD which I why I am investigating.

Posted by: Scott Olex (198.133.100.---)
Date: January 20, 2005 03:18PM

I did my first turnings with a homemade drill lathe. Just a drill held in my father’s bench vise, a homemade drive spur from a screwdriver and a nail in a board for a dead center. It wasn’t safe and it worked like carp but I did make wood chips and round stuff.

Buy a lathe. You won't be sorry and like the others have said you could always sell it if you don't like turning. I'd be willing to bet that you end up turning as an additional interest.

That’s just an opinion.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 20, 2005 04:45PM

I have a Grizzly Lathe that served me well but now it is resting in a corner and a jet mini has taken it's place. If you intend to do much wood turning save the price of a Grizzly with an electric drill and get a good wood lathe. You can add a lot of good accessories to your wood lathe for the price of the Grizzly.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: January 20, 2005 11:38PM

John-

Would you please email me at Defjam@core.com. I need to ask you a question/favor.

Thanks,
Domenic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster