I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glue for cork grips
Posted by: Phil Coventon (---.okc.gov)
Date: January 19, 2005 09:24AM

I've been building fly rods for some time, however I am now going to make my own cork grips. What is the best glue to use to glue the rings together, and where can the glue be purchased. Unstuck in Oklahoma. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glue for cork grips
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2005 09:36AM

Any good two-part liquid epoxy will work just fine. If you're building the grips on a mandrel and mounting on the rod blank after the shaping operation is complete, you may wish to try Titebond III wood glue. It's totally waterproof and leaves almost no glue line. Easy clean up. The only thing you want to watch for is that you clean your mandrels after removing the grip - the glue residue will cause them to rust if you don't take care of things quickly.

And make sure you use epoxy to mount the grip to the blank - Titebond is not the right adhesive for that task.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 10:10AM

A thin film of rod bond on each surface is a fool proof method of glueing cork rings. The only down side is the cure time is relatively slow.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 10:12AM

I have come to REALLY like System Three Epoxy. It is a 1:2 mix between the resin and haedener, but has the pot life and working properties I like. Weldbond also seems to work very well. It has similiar properties to Titebond III

ANdy Dear
Lamar
210-865-3256

Posted by: Tom Costa (---.173.66.34.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 10:35AM

can't you use rod bond for both? Gluing rings together and then to the blank?

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 10:53AM

whatever you do, use a slow set epoxy and don't use 5' epoxy. i would want at least a 30' working time.

Posted by: Phil Coventon (---.okc.gov)
Date: January 19, 2005 10:58AM

Thanks Tom and everyone, I think I will try the titebond as I will be using a mandrel.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 11:00AM

Tom:

Of course you can use Rod Bond for both. Be aware of the longer curing times when using it. I have found that when using rod bond or any other epoxy product, you need apply only a small amount to one cork surface. Put the adhesive on the cork and then scrape as much off as you can. When the corks are pressed together, this small amount of epoxy is sufficient to bond the corks together. It also minimizes the lines in the cork.

I have also had some good success with urethane glues, although there is a bit of a problem with the material "growing". I follow the same method of application and then scrape off the excess. Urethane glues are catalyzed by moisture in the air and can also leave nasty stains on the hands. Clean up well, wear rubber gloves and wipe down well with alcohol if you use this stuff. Because of the mess, I have discontinued using this product.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 11:09AM

Weldwood Plastic Resin glue. It leaves no hard rings, cleans up with water, and gives plenty of working time. Any hardware that sells glue will have it.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 12:17PM

It works great for me for both purposes

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: David Gonder (---.bmts.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 08:19PM

On the topic of glue for handles, I have found a very cheap tool that really helps from the craft industry, called glue spreaders. They are just a miniature, all plastic scraper which is flexible. You can scrape the excess glue off of the ring faces really easily while also using them to apply the glue, whichever type is used. They help keep my fingers away from the glue. I buy them from Lee Valley (www.leevalley.com) here in Canada, a place all rod builders should check out as they lots of wonderful tools useful to our trade.

Posted by: Scott Redmond (---.kalmbach.com)
Date: January 20, 2005 01:16PM

Has anyone ever used Gorilla Glue? Just curious as to how it would work.

Posted by: james gentz (198.111.237.---)
Date: January 20, 2005 03:26PM

Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue by DAP!
when dy it is water resistant, resists fungi, rot, oil, gas and many other solvents. I love it, and it is the only thing that i use to turn all my cork handles. You never see the lines. Use a threaded rod with nuts and washers on both ends to tighten down and squeeze out extra glue, and make sure to pre-fit your cork to the blank before assembly with the glue on the threaded rod. (the glue is easily removed with a rat tale file after you spin the threaded rod out of the cork) The threaded rod works very well while shaping too. Good to do this before you remove the cork from the threaded rod. Everyone that has seen my turned handles, love the feel and the look as they are not like anything else on the market. I found it at a hardware store, not home depot, but a local store.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster