I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1/4-inch file won't fit
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: January 19, 2005 09:09AM

I have a new problem today. The smallest file I could find is a 1/4-inch and it won't fit inside my cork handle so I can't ream it out. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help. I'm a beginner. Bruce

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1/4-inch file won't fit
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 09:39AM

I don't quite understand what type of file you are talking about. Is it a round wood rasp? The 10" wood rasp I use is tapered and varies in diameter from 5/32" at the tip to 5/16" at the butt and works well for reaming cork. They are available at any hardware store in various sizes.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 09:45AM

I think the "official" name for the kind of file you need is rattail and they are round. The one I use tapers about the same as Bob's. The real trick to using them is to rotate them counter-clockwise. The teeth seem to be cut on a clockwise spiral so if you rotate them clockwise, the file gets drawn into the rip and can actually split it. Rotating in the opposite direction doesn't do that, it just removes material.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 10:27AM

The rat tail file will probably just barely fit in a short distance at first. By removing cork, you gradually get it in all the way. Go slow. Also, instead of rotating the file CCW, it can be easier to hold the file steady and rotate the cork handle CW.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 10:33AM

You can also cut the square end of the file off and chuck it in a variable speed drill and use as a power reamer (in reverse) I stick my drill in a vise and hold the grip so I can control the reaming speed. It works pretty well

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2005 12:09PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Al Wasser (---.clsp.qwest.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 10:34AM

You may want to get a chainsaw file as a starter file. They come in several sizes and a very fine toothed as they are made to cut metal. Once the hole is enlarged slightly, the rat tail should work fine or a tapered reamer........

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: January 19, 2005 10:42AM

Thanks All!
I couldn't find any wood rasps but I bought a 1/4-inch metal file. I was afraid to use it because I thought the cork might split. I called around and found a place that carries chainsaw files. They're 6" long by 1/8 inch round. Do you think it would be long enough?

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 10:50AM

i think it is too short and too small. you want to start with a small rat tail file that tapers to less than 1/4
but is more than 1/4 at its largest diameter. you should not have any trouble finding one at home depot or lowes. cut off the tang and chuck the tang end in a reversible variable speed drill. turn it counter clockwise and insert it in the cork and go. i have three of these files of various sizes and it gets me where i want to go most of the time. if i need to go larger i have some reamers.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 11:38AM

Bruce ---
Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware.... all should have the round (rattail) wood rasps that the folks above referenced. Metal file will work - but will "clog up" and cut much slower than a wood rasp.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 12:35PM

Flex Coats arbor drills work great to get things close, then finish up with reamer.

Regards.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Gary George (---.nexicom.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 11:21PM

Check out Lee Valley, they are a Canadian supplier to the fine woodworking world. They stock an endless variety of files, rifflers and assorted power based cutting tools for Dremmel and similar small rotary tools. They have an online catalogue and store, try a Google or Yahoo search it'll come up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster