I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Finding" a rod within a blank....More Blank selection ??'s
Posted by: Tommy Lindsay (---.249.180.253.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 12:34PM

I am new to the custom rod scene, having built my first "sorta" custom last summer. I say sorta, because Don had already laid the rod out, and all I had to do was wrap away..(Which was an experience to itself, me being born with 10 thumbs etc,...)

As I look at the blanks offered to the left here, I keep wondering about what you really get. Most folks I have talked to (In this situation I am talking about 8^bait heavers) it seems very few builders build the blank as purchased, some lop 3" off here, 6" off here, 3" in the butt etc, I have even heard discussions on the beach (usually fueled with a sprinkling of adult beverages) of adding 1/2 to 1 oz weights in the butts to develop more speed to make the cast longer.

about this time my head explodes, and I go back to fishing.

I am looking at building several rods to upgrade my arsenal. But when I look at the capacities / ratings of the rods I wonder how much do they really apply. (There are very few shops in the Wakefield Virginia area where I can fondle blanks at will, so my purchases will be online or at the show next month.)

Say for instance, I am looking for a 7-8' blank for flounder fishing from the shore. rating should be 1/2-2.

I have seen many rods whose action / rating appears to fit the bill.... (allstar BESP965 is my present preference)

but, knowing (now) that it seems everyone lops something off of the rod, how do you predict the reaction to say lopping 3" off of a rod ?

should you tape the guides and start from there ?

How Do you find a rod in a blank ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Finding" a rod within a blank....More Blank selection ??'s
Posted by: Erik Hilliard (66.98.96.---)
Date: January 18, 2005 12:55PM

I can't help you with your specific question, but I will say that if you want to 'fondle' some rods and get some good info. call Capt. Ray at Fishsticks4U. Their shop is right across the river from you in New Kent. They have bent over backwards to answer all of my stupid questions.

Posted by: Erik Hilliard (66.98.96.---)
Date: January 18, 2005 12:55PM

Delete (duplicate post)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2005 12:56PM by Erik Hilliard.

Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sea1-4.27.224.88.sea1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 01:03PM

Tommy,

I think there might be less "lopping" going on out there then it appears or that the "lopping" simply gets more press then the normal wraps. I think you done the right things so far. Find a blank that looks like it is going to fit the fishing situation you are looking and at and build it. If it doesn't work, you can, (and will,) always build another.

Posted by: Tom Costa (---.173.66.34.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 01:48PM

Hey Tom,
as far as a Flounder Blank goes, I had found a great article on this and some rod recomendations from the author. I can't seem to locate it on my lap top but I know I have it printed off at home. Send me a e-mail and I will send you back the information.

Tom

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2005 02:02PM

If you can find something suitable, I'd do it and leave the blank length as is. One thing you can always count on, is that trimming a blank from either end results in the blank's action becoming slower. Trimming from the tip may enable you to cast slightly more weight while trimming from the butt reduces overall power. Again and in either case, the action becomes slower than it was when you had the full length blank. And remember, once you trim a blank you void any warranty.

Out of an expected 4,000 to 5,000 blanks available at the National Rod Builders Show in Charlotte next month, I suspect you can come up with almost exactly what you want without having to trim anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2005 02:03PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Greg Tucker (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 18, 2005 05:56PM

You know im a newbie also, but If you are still building the 136 Lami, I wouldnt cut any length or add weight to the butt.. I plan to contact a sponsor that will be at the show and have them put together what I want. Im sure we can find what you want (and me to) without doing any cutting... Good question tho..
Cant wait...

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2005 12:53PM

As above --- Perhaps it is the adult beach beverages that sparks some of the discussions on chopping , lopping or adding weights to the butt sections of blanks. Sure, I do it sometimes but with the expanding selection of blanks on the market each year with more inevitably on the drawing boards not nearly as often as before and likely less and less. And there's a difference (I THINK) between adding weight to the butt end of a blank to balance a tip-heavy blank and thinking that you're going to get more "snap" out of a blank by adding weights - better off choosing a "faster" tip blank (again I THINK).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster