I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Re-finishing old rod
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 07:57PM

My buddy gave me an old fiberglass rod ( think its fiberglass). If I were doing this to make money, this rod would be in the garbage basket. It's pretty cool though, he's had it forever and wants to redo it with his son's name. Since he's going to the desert to the same base I was, I figured I'd do him this one favor.

It's an old trolling rod, with old aftco trolling guides that need to be replaced. How do I re-finish or re-do the wooden butt? It is in good shape, but the finish is kinda shot. Also, it has a silver metal reel seat, the blank can come out at the top, not sure what kind of metal. Its shiny and pretty well corroded. I can't cut it off because if I do, the blank won't have anything to screw into. What to re-finish this with? Never-dull, metal polish? Any ideas?

Thanks guys.
Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Re-finishing old rod
Posted by: Fred Crum (---.jps.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 08:48PM

Phil'
I believe the wooden handles were finished with varnish. As for buffing up the old bright work, try using Brasso, or a silver polish. Just don't use an abrasive type of cleaner, commit, etc. Should work just fine.
Fred

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 17, 2005 09:13PM

Have you thought about trying to persuade this buddy to build a replica of his old rod ? In the Catalogs, you can find (hickory) wood butts, inexpensive trolling blanks and brand-new, quality 2-piece locking-nut ferruled reel seats. Finish the wood with varnish.

If he wants to use the old wood and old blank, then it may be worth trying to remove the old reel seat and installing a brand new one. Careful use of a hacksaw, and strong nippers (side or end cutters) and pliers can be used to peel off the old reel seat from the wood butt and wood foregrip. Just be careful when installing a new reel seat to keep the axial line-of-center straight from the butt to to the foregrip. If you don't, the assembled rod may get a little kink or offset in it at the reel seat that may be a little annoying. I hope that helps. -Cliff Hall-

Posted by: John Raymond (---.prxy.klmz.mi.core.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 11:56PM

Cliff, axial line of center. redid an old montague boat rod new butt seat and fore grip blank is not straight with handles. I was wondering where i screwed up. Learn something new everyday. Thanks John

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 18, 2005 04:38AM

Phil Richmond - PS: If you go with replacing the old reel seat, try applying some heat to the old reel seat barrel and male cap before going the labor-intensive route of cutting & peeling it off. Dipping it in boiled water, or a brief heating over a flame or heating with a heat gun (or 1500 Watt hair dryer) may do the trick. When you scrape off the old glue and crude from the butt end and foregrip side is where you want to be careful to keep the walls of the wooden stub both parallel and round. Careless scraping or sanding here is where an offset angle can be introduced when the new reel seat is mounted. If you have a lathe, a fresh turning could prevent this problem. Using a hard, straight sanding block can also help. The new reel seat can be mounted with an epoxy adhesive or even a hot-melt glue, from a hot-glue gun or the hot-glue sticks for rod tip-tops. If you use the melt-able glue, that gives you the hope of correction if your dry hand-fitting before final assembly leaves you concerned that the axis of all the components thru the reel seat may be slightly off. It is hard to do absolutely perfectly on wood stubs where water has probably rotted the outer layer. You do have to remove that; if you don't the rot won't hold the glue, and the reel seat will come loose anyway, which is worse than a little offset. Dry wall tape can help shim up the stub if the rot is really bad and requires removing lots of wood rot. Best Wishes, -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.64.157.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 18, 2005 08:32AM

I would think that is a solid fiberglass blank on that? Got a couple I was thinking of making some saltwater rods out of. Strong blanks

Posted by: Dan Martek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2005 10:21PM

Hey Phil if the seat is chrome you can try any automotive chrome polish. I would stick woth a name brand. Such as Mothers. Mothers makes one of the best Chrome Polishes around. Favorite of hotrodders and Harley owners everywhere. You can find it at any Automotive parts store, like Pepboys. GOOD LUCK!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster