I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Buttwrap Length in Inches
Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 03:59PM

What do you pro's use for a normal lengthed buttwrap? I currently seem to end up with about 10" from the winding check to the tie-off point. This results in 5 -6 crosswraps (patterns) to show. Is this too long?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buttwrap Length in Inches
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 04:27PM

Depends on the rod. I usually aim to make the wrap go from the foregrip to about 4" from teh end of the first guide wrap. This gives me some space to tie off, and add a decal between the end of teh tie off & the guide. Long Spinning rods with far away strippers I'll look to make teh wrap 1/2 the distance fro teh grip to teh guide.

FWIW - Most of my wraps are between 175-300millimeters long.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 05:57PM

I build only saltwater rods, 10" would be the minimum buttwrap I'd put on a rod. the last several dozen I've made have had an approx 13" buttwrap with the first guide at the end of the buttwrap and a weave tween the winding check and start of the first guide wraps. Shorter trolling rods have much less room tween reel seat and first guide so I usually put a diamond wrap under the guides and a weave tween the winding check and first guide.
Longest I've done to date is a 30" split diamond wrap in A metallic on a gaff

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 06:20PM

6 foot FW spinning rods I usually do 5, 6 or 7" long.

Putter

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas8.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 06:50PM

My average rod is a 6 foot spinning setup for light freshwater. My butt wraps range from 4" to 16" depending on what I feel like doing or what someone wants. I don't really have a standard length.

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (---.medfrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 09:41PM

It is all about personal preference, no wrong or right. I prefer to make my butt wraps length be determined by the guide spacing. In other words, most of the time, the space between guide wraps increases from tip to butt. I try and assimilate that spacing from the stripper guide to the end of my butt wrap so the distance between wraps gets larger at each wrap from tip to butt. That said, I rarely have a wrap smaller then 6 inches, but more often in the 7 to 11 inch range.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 10:04PM

Typical for me.

10 inches length on a seven foot popping rod.

First 2.25 inches are for underwrap with A. I use this area as decal bacground color after using the same color thread to attach hook keeper.

0.5 inch is a tie off area.

4.5 inches of chevron or diamond on one inch centers.

0.5 inches tie off area.

2.25 inches underwrap with inlays background for name decal.

Three thread metallic.

I did rods a long time that had what I feel were too much chevron area and they can become quite busy to the eye. I am tending to go shorter on the deco stuff and I think the simpler may look a little classier.

Gon Fishn

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Ed Carr (---.stkn.dial.netzero.com)
Date: January 18, 2005 12:18AM

From my screw up, put guides on first then decide what looks good . ED....

Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: January 18, 2005 08:13AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I should have mentioned that I build freshwater rods between 6 &7' long as that can influence how long the wrap should be.

I asked the question, in part, because I can see a shift in the pattern shape from the first to the last crosswrap over a 10" span due to the blank taper. Also, the more diamonds visible, the more chances for screw-ups or problems.

Based on what was said here, I'll keep using the same lengths.
Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster