I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Parabolic ?
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 02:53PM

Can someone enlighten me on what parabolic action or a parabolic blank is? And please forgive me for being ignorant to this terminology.......I know some folks are shaken their head at me while reading this question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2005 02:53PM by Steve Parks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Parabolic ?
Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 03:13PM

Here you go!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 03:54PM

When a rod bends into teh handle, that's what I consider Parabolic. Think of a Parabola from 11th grade Math, a Parabola is some sort of a U shaped curve which is a gradual bend - like this: [www.mat.usach.cl]

Basically, teh rod has no shut off point, the more weight you add, the more it will bend. Glass rods are an example.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 04:22PM

Billy,
That is a parabola all right but it sure would make an odd rod with that big soft section in the middle of the rod.

Date: January 17, 2005 04:32PM

Very true, lol - thanks for pointing that out.

I mean one side of the Parabola, not teh entire one from one infinity point to the other. From the Origin to positive infinity where X is teh variable of the derivitive, lol - nevermind. Calculus was way too long ago to try to remember. We shouldmake it more confusing for Steve, maybe send him a decal of teh Quadratic Equation & the slope of a line so he can add it to his rod, lol.

Emory - this is the equation for a Parabola, or something along those lines, no? X2 +3X +6 - Steve, you writing al this down? lol.

Date: January 17, 2005 05:55PM

Uh.....yea....I got it! Now I've got this nervous twitch like an Army experiement went bad.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 07:28PM

Billy,
Yes, one form of a quadratic equation when plotted will result in a parabola. The general form of the equation for a parabola is Y=ax^2+bx+c. A quadratic equation is defined as one in which no variable appears with a power higher than two. Your memory is better than mine. I didn't remember and wasn't sure so I just looked it up.

Date: January 17, 2005 07:39PM

Well, as long as we've given Steve a headache...MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, lol.

Date: January 17, 2005 09:38PM

You da man Billy! :)

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: January 18, 2005 12:08PM

I sometimes sora get my stories mixed up a little, so don't shoot me if I got the wrong rod designer with the right tale, but here is what I read:

Paul Youngs designing flyrods, talking with some bigshot and customers. Somebody said "what if you just made a straight rod from the butt to the tip, like a 2x4. He said "will, it would bend in a parabala".

Later sombody said "Hey, that is a great name. We will call these rods "parabolic"" Birth of the marketing department in rod building, I imagine.

If you think about this, if you put a 2 x 4 in a vise at one end and pull at the other, then most of the bend (the sharp curved end of the parabala, is at the vise, or the butt if it is a rod. So to me "parabolic" describes a rod that has a lot of bend down to the butt.

I am not engineer, but Iyou bend a tapered rod and curve fit the bend I suspect you will get a higher order equation than a parabola. I doubt if many rods actually bend in a true parabala.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster