I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reassurance on guide number
Posted by: Mike Rury (---.110.25.242.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 09:36AM

I'm building a 8' 5 piece 3 weight Dan Craft Sig III rod... and after locating the stripping guide, commenced the static deflection test to determine guide placement.

The first time, I used all 10 guides that Dan provided (They were already taped on to test cast the stripper placement). I got a good line flow, then decided to try it with only 9 guides.

I couldn't get a very good flow... in my inexperienced opinion. So I put the extra guide back on. I'm now am requesting a little assurance that 10 guides on this 8' rod is not insane. If I remember correctly, the distance between the butt guide and the next one up is about 11-13 inches or so... just seems awful close. But with 9, I just didn't feel comfortable with the line flow, especially in the mid to butt end of the rod (I had about 4 or so at the tip to just past the bend or the rod under fish-fighting like load).

Am I just being paranoid?

Is there any pictures online of static deflection tests where one shows a not-so good one, and with one more guide added shows what to expect with good line flow?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reassurance on guide number
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2005 09:42AM

I have done 9' rods with 9 guides plus a tip, so I'm a little surprised that you couldn't get a nice line flow with that same number on your 8 footer. But sometimes owing to the differences in action, two blanks of the same length may require a different number of guides. So be it.

10 guides is not neccessarily out of bounds on an 8' rod. If it looks better, casts better, and you have more peace of mind with 10, I'd use them. If you have time to play with a 9 guide set up a little more, do so. Maybe you can get it to work, but if not, fall back on the 10 guide set up.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 12:10PM

Mike,
i would try to get to 9 if I could but I would not worry too much about an extra guide unless it resulted in the guides spacing being significantly closer toward the tip. A little extra weight toward the tip can have a significant effect on performance but that same additional weight toward the butt of the rod will not have a significant effect on the rods performance.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 10:11PM

Well, if it is insane, I am ahead of you. I just finished an 8 foot, 6 piece Dan Craft. Because I wanted a guide on every ferrule except the butt section, it has 11 guides (including the stripper) and a tip top.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 10:11PM

Well, if it is insane, I am ahead of you. I just finished an 8 foot, 6 piece Dan Craft. Because I wanted a guide on every ferrule except the butt section, it has 11 guides (including the stripper) and a tip top.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster