I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First wraps, first problems
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.58.38.42.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 07:22AM

Hi again,

I received Clemens' books last week and this week end I was encouraged enough to enter into rod building. I've made my first guide wraps, usin available threads, so colors do not match. Light blue, metallic blue and gold are size A, and dark blue is size D.

They are just tests, so all these guides will be removed.

I'm happy because I see I'll be able of doing it (I've just wraped 4 or 5 guides till now), but there are some points I've found specially difficult. I post them to ask your help, but also to transmit my experience to beginners like me!!. I've posted a photo in www.fishingphotos.net. Poster is drotea, in "guide wraps" section.

- I cannot avoid nubs of thread. I pull the thread to th outside of the wrap, producing a small gap. Then I cut as short as I can (in fact I'v even cut the wrong thread once or twice!!) and... the nub is there, specially with metallic threads. I've tried to burnish them, and even to burn them, but they're always there. (pics 2 and 3)
- When I push from the thread to cut it, exsternal turn goes unther the wrap (as expevted, I think) and stays there, so first turn is not cross to the blank axis. (pics 1 and 3)
- I'v tried to wrap some "inlaid single wind" (as called by Clemens, pic 4), but I cannot do it right. At some point the inlaid thread must pass over the wrap thread. Is there any site where I can see it with pictures?.

That's all, floks!.

Daniel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First wraps, first problems
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 07:57AM

I was a beginner not long ago, and remember my problems, so may be of some help. First, about nubs, you will getter better advice than I can give about avoiding them, but if you do get them, don't despair. Put a first coat of epoxy on, let it dry overnight, then it is easy to shave off the nubs with a sharp razor blade or Xacto knife. Then after the second coat of epoxy, it should look perfect. Second, about single thread inlays, a good technique for that is described and illustrated with photos in a back issue of RodMaker magazine, Vol. 6, No. 1; you can order back issues, link on left. There will be a slight visible break in the single thread wrap, unavoidable, but it can be minimized with good technique, good technique also includes ensuring that that break happens on the bottom of the rod, out of sight.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: January 17, 2005 09:56AM

Daniel,To avoid the nubs what I do is put the pull through loop about 5or 6 turns before the end of the wrap.I then complete the wrap and put the tag end through the loop and pull it until it is tight against the end of the wrap.At this point I cut the tag end off(you must approximate the length)before pulling through completely.This will place the tag end somewhere between the end and where you installed the pull through loop effectively hiding the end.It takes some practice to get the length right but being thats what you are currently doing you should be able to perfect it quickly.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas3.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 10:48AM

Do what Fred suggests with the tag end. After looking at the pictures I would suggest trying to keep your thread tightly packed and straight as you wrap. I use my thumb nail to do this and rairly have to burnish the wrap after it is complete. Also keep a constant tension on the thread as you wrap and you won't have any problem with any area of the wrap being loose.

It takes a bit of practice but the more wraps you do the easier and better they get.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 10:54AM

Practice, pactice, practice will make these problems go away. I need to practice spelling, so don't feel bd.

1. THere are a lot of ways to prevent this from happeneing, the way Fred explains is one of them. When I tried that I would cut the tag too short, the wrap would fall apart, too long it would stick up. What I do is pull the thread through, hold it tight, almost stretching it (I wrap like 10-12 turns over the tie off loop), and slice as close as I can with a new razorblade, double edged are sharper. More often than not this will give me a clean wrap, if not I do as Tom suggests, put a coat of finish and slice it off. Honestly, on the rod you're building with teh Aftco's - that's teh best way to go, imo. Still, practice a few different ways and see what works for you.

2. THat Vee occurs when you pull the tie off through with the tag end. I stick my thumbnail at this point to keep the touter threads from moving. Once I pull through, I slice the tage, and straighten with my thumbnail. Others use a burnishing tool and spin the blank, I do this usually when I start teh wrap as I've practiced enough and get a straight edge on teh tie off end. Starting the wrap, take 6 or 7 turns over teh thread to start, and before slicing it off, pull it as you turn the blank. This will make more of the tag end slip under the wrap, but if you use the proper tension all teh 6-7 turns will not allow the entire wrap to slip that much...only enough to allow the tension from pulling the tag end under to make a nice neat straight line. Agin, use a burnishing tool to clean up - I use my thumbnail.

3. THere are a bunch of ways to do a single trim inlay with thread. Keep practicing and you'll get teh hang of it. I used Clemens method, works great. I also use the method to wind 2 threads together, but only go one turn - works great & is very uick. No cutting threads, no tape 1-2-3 finished. Gotta practive though.

Posted by: Robert Adams (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 05:52PM

Daniel, nice to know I am not alone in little problems with the first rod, so I'm glad you posted your question and appreciative of the replies you received. My biggest problem is/way beginning the very first wrap or two, especially on the blank tip end and still trying to refine that. Maybe a new pair of eyes would help. Good luck with your first one and my thanks to those who responded to your post.
Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 07:41PM

Bob - try making 4 or 5 turns with teh tag end, then starting your wrap over the first turn. After you spin the blank 2 or 3 times, you can pull the tag end out from under, and you'll be on your way. Easier said than explained.

Posted by: Anonymous User (63.146.104.---)
Date: January 17, 2005 09:04PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bob - try making 4 or 5 turns with teh tag end,
> then starting your wrap over the first turn. After
> you spin the blank 2 or 3 times, you can pull the
> tag end out from under, and you'll be on your way.
> Easier said than explained.
>
> XL Rods

i had no idea how to do this until i saw ken prestons video, he shows how to do it several times. this is one of the reasons i am going to keeo the dvd as it shows several thread tricks the others don't.

Posted by: Robert Adams (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 18, 2005 04:07PM

John and Billy..thanks a ton for that tip. I don't know why I couldn't see that in that it makes so much sense!! Really appreciate it.
Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster