I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is spine related to curve?
Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.nwcspa.adelphia.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 08:44PM

This is in regard to a thread on another board.
It was stated that the spine of a blank will usually be aligned along the curve or bend in the blank.
I feel that normal(and acceptable) bends and curves in a blank are NOT strongly related to spine and have liitle if any effect on spine location.
What do you guys and gals think?
Thanks,
Kevin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is spine related to curve?
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 09:26PM

Kevin,
I think that you are right and those on the other board are full of prunes. The spine will sometimes but usually not be on the same axis as the curve in a blank.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2005 09:34PM

The natural curve of any blank certainly contribute to where the effective spine is. It's one of about 6 or 7 manufacturing anomolies that create the spine effect.

On some tubular structures, say a PVC pipe, the spine will indeed fall along any natural bend. But only because being extruded, it will likely have verbatim wall thickness and uniformity so the natural curve or warp is the overriding factor involved. Rod blanks are not made that way - wall thickness, concentricy, voids, etc., all contribute to the spine effect. Since blanks are rarely perfectly concentric, or have verbatim wall thickness, and may have voids in the material, these factors can make the spine fall away from any natural curve.

In most cases, the effective spine will be neither on or opposite the blank's natural bend or warp. It is rare, in fact, to find one where the spine and natural bend are on the same axis. Unless you have a blank that possesses a very, very strong and distinct curve, it's not likey that the spine and either the concave or convex curve will be the same. But, the natural curve does contribute. How much so depends on how much curve we're talking about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2005 09:41PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Edward Sanborn (---.sm.centurytel.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 10:04PM

It's my thinking that the primary factor in the location of the spine is the coincidence (relative positions) of the inner and outer edges of the graphite cloth as they are wrapped to form the blank. Is this correct as far as anyone knows? Would this also be a primary factor as far as the natural curvature of a blank goes? If so, would this be due to less vs. more radial wall thichness + composite shrinkage upon catalyzation & curing?

Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.nwcspa.adelphia.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 10:51PM

Thanks guys.

Thanks Tom, I knew you'd give me a detailed answer. :-)

Kevin

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 09:49AM

Ed,
You are right that how the material (prepreg) overlaps is one of the factors that results in what we call the spine in a blank. It contributes to the spine in a couple of ways. First where the material overlaps there is in effect an extra layer of material and second this overlap results in the blank not being perfectly round or very slightly oval in shape. However, as Tom pointed out there are a number of other manufacturing anomales that also have an effect.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2005 09:58AM

I've always wished that rod blanks could be extruded. This would allow for much greater control in terms of taper, concentricity, wall thickness, etc. But, I know of no extrudable materials that have sufficient modulus to create fishing rods at the performance level we've grown accustomed to. Maybe a few years down the road something will turn up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster