I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.136.90.90.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 09:04AM

finished wrapping my first rod, yesterday, I put color lock on and let it set over night, this morning when I started to put the epoxy on the thread wrap, at the last minute I chose the urethane instead, so far so good, I realize its going to take quite a few coats for a glass like smooth feel,
my question is, pros and cons for epoxy and urethane,?
second question, i seem to have a few nicks and or dull spots on the rod blank itself. mostly due to my work habits, how do I polish the blank back to a nice shine, and do I use the same urethane or epoxy or something different.?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2005 09:13AM

Urethane will take many, many coats to build much depth. It will never be quite as smooth and glass-like as epoxy. It is very tough, however, and actually more resistant to abrasion than epoxy.

Epoxy will get the job done in just one or two applications. Well done, it's glass-smooth. The only downside, for some, is that it can be a bit tricky to use and get good results with.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.136.249.178.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 03:32PM

Thanks, I had 4 coats on and it looked pretty good, it was pretty even but you could still feel the thread a little. added fifth coat,
your right its just don't smooth out like I would like. should have stayed with four.

just for the general knowledge of it, can you put epoxy over urethane, for a smoother coat or should you sand the urethane with 600grit sand paper to know shine off and then maybe add one thin coat of urethane, providing you can thin the urethane of course.

Date: January 16, 2005 08:12PM

Sanding guide wraps is tough - you've got that guide foot in there which makes the wrap uneven on one side.

Yes you can add epoxy over urethane, but if you're going to do that in the future, might as well skip the urethane altogether.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.136.90.116.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 09:18PM

for a first rod, working at the kitchen table the urethane turned out ok after all. It does not have the high build up like epoxy but looks pretty good, I am encouraged enough and definitely learned enough that I am goint to try it again. Just from what I learned on this one the next one should be twice as nice. and this one looks pretty good.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 10:55PM

Your hooked!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: January 17, 2005 10:00AM

Jim,

You also have access to one of the world's best rod builders within just a few miles of your home. And I know he'd be happy to help you with your finishing routine, if you wanted to approach him about it.

Check the builders' directory here on this site for Buddy Owens in Summerfield.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.136.249.10.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 07:29PM

Tom, the buddy owens listed that I see is greensboro, which is fine, i am there every day, but he has no email address that I can see in the directory. between greensboro and winston salem, there are several. I would not mind getting a second opinion from one of them, you have any other sugestions or should I just pick one,
thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster